CNG Cylinder Exchange in Virginia

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

For the record.
I just got off the phone with Jimmy Conoly at VA Natural Gas. He is the go to guy in Norfolk to get a CNG cylinder exchanged.
(434) 449 0442  (He works from before 6am until 2pm so call him in the morning)
Jimmy informed me that there is now someone in Richmond who will do a cylinder exchange also. His name is Steven Harvey at (804) 513 7856  He has a location just north of I295 and I95 on the north side of town. Anyone making the trip to the bay from Richmond or beyond who has to do a cylinder exchange will be happy to avoid having to go to Norfolk now.

Mark Tamblyn

chuck53

My wife caught up with Jimmy just last week to get a refill and during the course of the conversation while re-filling our tank, she mentioned being from Richmond, he told her about the guy.  He's located in the Hanover Air Park just north of Richmond.

I don't understand why more people don't use CNG and why it's not more readily available.  No need to have dedicated, sealed propane lockers.  My tank is located under the seat in the aft cabin.  If by some very slim chance it leaks, I don't have to worry about it sinking down to the bilge.  It rises and will find it's way out of the boat while propane will not.

chuck53

Quote from: MarkT on May 21, 2012, 12:19:44 PM
For the record.
I just got off the phone with Jimmy Conoly at VA Natural Gas. He is the go to guy in Norfolk to get a CNG cylinder exchanged.
(434) 449 0442  (He works from before 6am until 2pm so call him in the morning)
Jimmy informed me that there is now someone in Richmond who will do a cylinder exchange also. His name is Steven Harvey at (804) 513 7856  He has a location just north of I295 and I95 on the north side of town. Anyone making the trip to the bay from Richmond or beyond who has to do a cylinder exchange will be happy to avoid having to go to Norfolk now.

Mark Tamblyn

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone if either of these guys are still doing refills and/or exchanges?  Jimmy did our last refill 3 years ago, but it would be nice to find someone in Richmond.

Stu Jackson

Chuck, did you see Cliff's recent CNG thread?

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 22, 2015, 12:29:09 PM
http://www.cngnow.com/stations/Pages/information.aspx

That link is the latest I have received from looking all over the web, and is from Steve Dion, a friend here in Northern California, who has posted this link on co.com for the past few years, in response to the same-old, same-old question of "Where do I get CNG?"

Which would come up with a simple Google search, too.   :cry4`

Quote from: chuck53 on May 21, 2012, 01:07:52 PM
I don't understand why more people don't use CNG and why it's not more readily available.  No need to have dedicated, sealed propane lockers.  My tank is located under the seat in the aft cabin.  If by some very slim chance it leaks, I don't have to worry about it sinking down to the bilge.  It rises and will find it's way out of the boat while propane will not.

I completely agree.  But, LOTS has to do with what your boat came with.  Ours came with CNG and we have a new-tank dispenser right down the street from our marina.

The cost to change to propane is not all that much IF your CNG source disappears.  But it requires, as you know, a proper propane tank enclosure, solenoid and changing the jets on the stove.

Been discussed and documented here and all over the web.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

Stu, yes, I have googled and I don't see anything really definitive.  A lot of sites that talk about what CNG is and its advantages and some sites for vehicle refueling stations.
I'm specifically asking about these 2 gentlemen.  If No one knows, I'll give them a call on Tuesday.  Hopefully, at least one of them is still in this business.
I've had this boat for 5 years and have only filled my tank once.  I'm ready to do it again.
Yes, I know propane availability is probably 1000 times better, and I have zero desire to switch.

BTW, the cngnow.com website you mentioned is for vehicle refueling.  While I can't say for sure, I kinda doubt you can take a tank in and get it refilled, but I will call and ask.

Stu Jackson

Chuck,

I posted that more for other folks, in general and for future "searches," than specifically for you.  Perhaps I thought the link would "get you to" local suppliers, too.

Did that link help you at all?

"Where do I get CNG in my area?" comes up often, usually at the beginning of each season, both here and in many other boating forums.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find either or both of them, since there are many skippers in your vicinity.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

chuck53

OK, I just spoke with Steve Harvey, 804-513 7856,  and he does tank exchanges.  $31.

I was actually in Solomons, MD last weekend and planned on doing an exchange at Zanheiser's as they offer that service.  They wanted $70.  I wasn't empty and I was pretty sure I could get an exchange a lot cheaper.  Glad I waited.

sailr4

yes, $31 is a great price.  My old boat had CNG and I would pay the big bucks at Z's.  By the way, if anyone wants a second tank (empty now) so the refills go a bit further, I have one.  Free to a good home.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Stu Jackson

For anyone considering sailr4's offer, it is a very good idea.  Our boat came with one.  The PO has a great idea:  He stored it in the storage area just forward of the holding tank, and cut a hole in the bulkhead between the saloon and the V berth into the compartment with the drop down door face for the nozzle.  Fits great, still can use some of the space for storage.  We lined it with foam to keep it from moving around.  When, not if, the CNG to the stove runs out, you'll be glad you have it.  One further advantage of CNG is that the pressure dial is pretty accurate in showing you what you have left.

crieders

and In LI Sound
G. Brewer Hardware
914-698-3232
161 East Boston Post Rd
Mamaronack
They also have a dock
Nice people
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022