Blower motor access

Previous topic - Next topic

Eisensail

My blower motor has 2 crimp connectors on the wires that go from the cockpit panel blower switch to the blower motor. While working on my panel wiring project one of the wires to the blower pulled out of the crimp connector.  I can't reach it to re-crimp it through the opening for the panel.  I tried to acces the wires by removing the port panel in the aft berth, but no luck there.  Any suggestions?

Stu Jackson

Only place you haven't tried is the lazarette, right?  :D  That's where I would have gone first.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

The blower should be in the lazarette like Stu mentioned.  You may have to crawl in there to get at it.

Eisensail

I guess I have too much stuff in the lazarett since I looked there as well and didn't think it went thru. I guess it's time to clean out the PO's old dock line and broken broom handle collection :clap

Ralph Masters

If you have not yet been in that aft lazzert, you are in for a fun filled afternoon.  I've been in ours 4 or 5 times, an "E" ticket ride for sure.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

mregan

It should on the wall separating the lazarette from the aft berth.  Right under the engine panel.  Once you are in and sitting down, it actually rather roomy.  Just getting in and out is a pickle.

Noah

Guess it depends on the boat. Mine has a screwed in plywood shelf all the way across; with propane box near midline bilge pump and its hoses taking up portside near midline and the blower bolted to the shelf on portside. a under the shelf on starbord side is another shelf with reefer compressor.  All in all no way to "dive in" my locker until propane box and then top shelf is removed. Not a quick operation. Unfortunately, while clean looking and solid, this limits my usable storage access... I may change the arrangement "some day"...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Eisen : There is another option - to install a 6" Beckson port just under the engine instrument panel.

I did that so I could make a platform for my cockpit VHF to sit on(Mainsheet tech note article).  Then you can also get at that loose blower wire !!  :D

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Eisensail

Wait, are you talking about the starboard lazarette or aft lazarette? I have an open transom model, so my aft ones are about 2' by 2'.  I am also 6'6"  :shock:

Noah

Aft. Mine is also a 1990 (hull 1014) with a "walk-over" transom, not walk through. The push pit (stern pulpit) is split with a gate, and opens for ladder to hinge down and climb down onto sugar scoop stern/step.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Eisensail on November 18, 2014, 05:42:23 PM
the starboard lazarette or aft lazarette?

Mates!!!  If a boat has a lazarette, it's found in only ONE location on the vessel !   :abd:

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

On MK1.5s with the walk thru, we have 2 lazerettes, one on each side of the walk thru.  About a 2x2 opening under the fold up seat give you access.  One would have to be very small to get in and out.  At least on my boat which is ~100 newer than the one in question, the propane locker takes the port side which will block any access to the wires.  If you really can't reach it by removing the aft berth plywood walls, then maybe use a coat hanger to start fishing.  Maybe you will get lucky.  If not, removing the fuel tank to gain access may be your only choice.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

On my 1991, hull #1150, the blower was mounted on the aft side of the aft panel in the port lazarette. You needed to remove the panel with maybe four screws to access the blower, the rear side of the shore power outlet, and anything else back there, like the engine panel. Like Ken's boat, my rear port lazarette had the propane locker. I was able to get into the starboard side, spin and crawl under the step through and over to the port side, but never would be able to come close to the blower. I'm only 5'6" and 140#.

Craig

Eisensail

My boat is the same as Ken's with 2 lazarettes on each side of the walk through and a large lazarette under the port bench.  The blower motor is between the engine panel cutout and the port lazarette.  The problem is the wire that I need to crimp to is about 3" long hanging off the motor.  I can reach it with one arm stretched way down from the engine panel opening, but I can't cut off the old crimp connector and crimp a new with one hand. In addition when I put my arm down there I can't see what I am doing.

When I go this weekend I'll try to get access through the port lazarette like I think Stu suggested, but I think it's just a closed in box.  Removing the aft cabin wall may be my only access.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Is it possible to just run a whole new wire from end to end or is the end point at the blower the problem.
My '89 didn't have a blower and I don't know if the P O removed it or it never had one.
I'm probably missing the point here somewhere but is it really necessary to have a blower on a diesel engine?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net