Access port in holding tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Hmmm? I would think the switch to stainless tank, in itself, would not make a difference? I have not heard of the actual plastic tank permeating odors. But perhaps? Did you change anything else along with the tanks; (hoses, vent size/location) ? If so, more likely those are the reason(s)  for "no more smell"?  My guess.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

lazybone

Quote from: Jeff Tancock on April 25, 2014, 10:26:29 AM
Am I the only one that can't stop chuckling? What do you think is in there? Go ahead......surprise me.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure".
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Indian Falls

Andy,
You couldn't have rid yourself of odors only by having a ss tank.
How can that be possible?
Please elaborate on your regimen or any tank vent modifications.
Thanks!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Set2sea

Thanks all for the input. You talked me out of the port in the tank. After a second look, I agree that it wouln't take much to cut free the tank for removal. Now, before I do, I am thinking of best way to resecure it after reinstall. I would rather not get into a strap.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Stu Jackson

Paul, Frederick wrote up what he did in great detail.

Frederick and Dan gave different advice, but, your boat, your choice.

ITWMB, I'd throw some ice cubes in through the vent fitting and go sailing on a boisterous day.  I've looked into our 27 year old tank and there simply isn't that much down there.  Really.  Just tryin' to save you unnecessary work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

Paul,

Cory and I both replaced our holding tanks (installed them in 2012). This thread covers much of the back and forth banter: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=6593.0 . I haven't completed writing the entire thing up, but when done, I'll post the link here. Peggie Hall was a wonderful resource and provided much advice. Basically the smell comes from anaerobic bacteria that grows in the absence of oxygen, thus the need for good ventilation (aerobic bacteria apparently doesn't smell). So ventilating your tank should keep the smell down. Having a larger diameter vent hose, of a properly rated hose, with minimum length and bends in the line, all equate to better ventilation. Some have even had two vent lines put in (to cross-ventilate) the tank. I had planned to do that, but in the end decided on just the one (routing the second was proving difficult).

I'd be careful about stainless steel tanks as well. There is a lot in this forum to find on holding tanks. Use the Google search "holding tank site:c34.org".
Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Andrew Harvey

i also replaced the head and discharge hoses with the white hose and also the vent hose .
Vent hose vents through a thru hull just below the rub rail
We are also in the habit of pumping out upon return to the marina.
Andrew Harvey

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

FYI, just because the hose is white, doesn't mean that it's the odorless type. There are different grades of hoses weather they be white or black. There was an article written by Peggy that gives the best hose to use. There is also info in the West Marine catalog.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bobg

I put a see through  3" port on top of my tank about 5 years ago, no problems no leakage, just look in there with a flashlight once in a while to see how full it is getting, and every fall I pump and flush tank, remove the port cover and give the tank a good flush with a garden hose and shop vac the remaining water, very little smell in boat while doing this, I don't see any problem whatsover in installing and maintaining your port
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Set2sea

Bob, what did you use for a sealant putting the port in?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

mregan

You could probably use Plumbers Putty.  You can get it at HD or Lowes.  Is waterproof and seals well but doesn't harden or dry out.  Plumbers typically use it for sink drains.

Bobg

Hi, sorry I took so long getting back to you, I believe I bedded the port with 5200, very happy with the results, and the ability to look through the port with a flashlight is a plus with me, I like the ability to get in there and really clean after a pump out in the fall.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands