Pad Eye for Whisker Pole

Previous topic - Next topic

burner

Just bought a new whisker pole for my 1988 Catalina 34.  The boat has never had a whisker pole, so I'm going to have to mount the pad eye on the mast for it.  The question that I have is, how high do I mount the pad eye on the mast, is there a method of deciding that height?  Thanks in advance....

SteveLyle

is to set the padeye such that the pole is level in use (i.e., at the same height as the clew once it's winged (wung?) out.

Forespar has a bunch of info on the general whisker pole subject:  Forespare whisker pole tips

Jim Price

I am also considering a whisker pole in the future (when the cash flow is better) and was looking at track mounting the pad eye due to different hights for different sails. Probably more expensive but I ahve also read a fair amount about fixed eyes failing under unexpected loads and track mounted eyes are more versital to account for loads in different planes (& more expensive).  I agree the Forespar site has a lot of good info to consider.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Mike Smith

I have an adjustable whisker pole with uphauls and downhauls on Breezer.  My advice is to spring for the track and adjustable pad eye.  Also, mount the pole on the stantions for storage - keeps you from tripping over it if you store it on deck.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Tom Glennon

I installed a track with ajustable pole ring this past season...

Not only does it work great for ajusting the pole height.... it is also a great attachment point for the hammock!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts