Headsail Halyard

Previous topic - Next topic

KINGAIR350

Still no luck, with the correct routing , halyard runs thru thru the mast slot, to the swivel block on the mast base, thru deck block, thru fairleads under traveller and then used the winch to haul up headsail checked the tension it's way above 220 lbs sounds like a bass string .
Also this would prevent me from using the traveller winch. Went to Wiki manuals and no luck .
Thanks To All For The Help.
Kevin

Jim Hardesty

Sounds like you may have a problem with the pulley at the mast head or routing through the mast.  Take the halyard headsail end down on the deck.  Hold that end and pull on the halyard.  Up and down a few feet with some pressure on the sail end if it doesn't run free that's the problem.
Another thought, is this sail going into roller furling slot.  Have you used that sail before?  May be a problem there.  Try tying a tag line to the swivel and take that up and down.  Should run free.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KINGAIR350

Hey Jim,
Sail went up and goes down fine (got in the chair and checked), its where the halyard goes thru the block @ the mast base thru the deck sheaves and thru the traveller and used the traveller to hoist the HS up is where the problem ends there is no halyard clutch on the port side next to the head window/vent how are other '88 set up or was the clutch assy omitted during production , im the 2nd owner checked to see if the PO removed and filled in the voids but no evidence to that . Sorry to be such a P I A in regards to this . Are there any pictures that i can reference to this so i can at least use the winch for use of the traveller ??
Thanks again for all you in put .
Regards
Kevin

Ron Hill

Kevin : I gave you a verbal routing of the jib halyard.  There is also a diagram in your owners manual.

Check each of the sheaves to make sure they are not bound!!
Ron, Apache #788

KINGAIR350

Ron,
Dont mean to sound brain dead but I have no manual and the one that'sn wiki is vauge sorry
Thanks Again
Kevin

tommyt

No specific answer to your question, but one of my own. On all the the mid 80's to newer Catalinas 30'-38' I have sailed on I have never needed a winch for the traveler. What kind of purchase do you have on the traveler that it needs a winch?
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ron Hill

Kevin : Sorry if I sounded like I was scolding, and the manual may not show the jib routing? but it is more common sense than the main sheet routing.

Top of the sail to, the top of the mast, then down and out the portside mast, then to the base of the mast, turning block on the deck thru the fairlead UNDER the traveler to a rope stopper by the head hatch. Clear as mud???

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KINGAIR350

Ron,
I understand the routing format , but on this '88 #553 there isnt a rope clutch to secure the halyard like on starboard side i guess it was omitted during the manufacturing procress, after i get back from the rig ill post some pictures of before and after ive installed it itll be a double spinlock clutch/brake assy.I truely thank you for your in put in this matter.
Have A Great Week and Pleasent Weekend,
Kevin

Indian Falls

King,

I have a manual that has the routing of lines pictured, it's not great but it may be better than nothing.
I'll scan it and send it to you as soon as I can get back to my boat.  I  never use the cabin top winches for the traveler.  the starboard cabin top winch is for the main sail halyard and the main sheet.  The port winch gets used once a year to haul the jib up and then once in a while for the spinnaker.  I find that hauling the sails up at the mast and having someone take up the slack in the cockpit is best all around lowest stress.  I can haul the main up from the cabin top winch but like you say the line is like a bass string.  It's just easier and faster to pull it up at the mast by hauling the line with my hands.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

mtullier

This is a long shot, but does the block at the mast base have a ratchet or clutch mechanism?  I know mine does on the spinnaker halyard and will increase the tension on the line if the ratchet is engaged or if the line is run through on the wrong side of the block.  
Mike

mregan

Pull the line all the way back to where it exits the mast, then thread it though the mast base block and try to raise it.  If it goes up easy, then thread it through the deck organizer and try again, keep going until you find the problem area. 

Ron Hill

Kevin : Now I understand!!  The rope clutch for the port side was an option.  What the previous owner must have done was to raise the jib with the winch and then tie the halyard to the cleat. On some boats people purchased a self tailing winch and left the line on the winch!!

That was the first item that I purchased the teak block and the 2nd was a double rope clutch (spinnaker & Jib).
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

Seems like the solution would be to install a rope clutch for the headsail halyard and then the winch would be free if you need to use it for the traveler control line.  I have a Lewmar D1 rope clutch that would work for that purpose if you want it. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

KINGAIR350

Hey Guys,

Thanks for ALL your input for this "simple " problem , going out on the platform for 32 days and have the bits a pieces here when i come back.

Many Many Thanks to all that contributed to my problem.

Kevin :thumb:

Roc

Maybe you need to increase the purchase on the traveler line so you won't need to use the winch??  Just a thought as another option.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD