Low charging from the battery charger

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Haven't used the boat that much this summer.  Got here today and plugged into the dock power, finished unloading the  car.  Checked the Link when I was done and it was only showing 12.4v.  Something is not right.  I started checking around,  the power and ground leads seemed to move a bit in the charger.  Got the screwdriver out and tightend the set screws.  20 minutes later, the voltage is climbing.  Problem solved.  Making sure the connections are tight is now on the monthly checklist.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : Did you check the lock washers?, or rebend them or replace them with star washers? 

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Quote from: Ken Juul on September 15, 2013, 08:30:47 PM
Haven't used the boat that much this summer.  Got here today and plugged into the dock power, finished unloading the  car.  Checked the Link when I was done and it was only showing 12.4v.  Something is not right.  I started checking around,  the power and ground leads seemed to move a bit in the charger.  Got the screwdriver out and tightend the set screws.  20 minutes later, the voltage is climbing.  Problem solved.  Making sure the connections are tight is now on the monthly checklist.

Crap,
Must be hundreds of electrical connections on the boat?
The thought of checking them monthly makes me ill.

How the heck do they loosen on there own?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ken Juul

No lock washers involved.  Small set screws that hold the wires into the socket.  I guess I could use some locktite on them, but they are so small I'm afraid I would strip them if I ever had to take them out.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : The best way with set screws is to tin the wire ends and then crank the set screws in (make a depression) to hold them. 
Ron, Apache #788

mainesail

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 17, 2013, 08:36:24 AM
Ken : The best way with set screws is to tin the wire ends and then crank the set screws in (make a depression) to hold them. 

The "proper way" is to be using set screws that impinge on a pressure plate, not directly onto the wire stranding. A set screw that bites directly into the wire is against ABYC standards, for good reason.

If that is all you have available, set screw mashing directly onto the wire, and you have a non ABYC compliant charger without pressure plates, then crimping on wire ferrules is the next best option.

I would only consider solder tinning as a distant third. I see far to many fractured solder joints in my daily work....
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Guys : Mainsail is correct!!  

Sorry, What I didn't say is that I take a diamond file and take the point off so I have a flat set screw.
Ron, Apache #788