Edson Control Levers Part 2

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Didn't want to change the subject on the other thread.  Changed to the steel control levers at the beginning of the summer.  Engine wouldn't go into foward all the way.  Had the mechanic come down, he adjusted I'm assuming the cable and it's worked all summer.  The lever would hit the pedestal guard but it seemed like it was at the end of it's throw.
Out last weekend. Motoring out it feels fine.  After dropping the sails, my wife said it didn't feel like we were fully in forward.  I drop in into neutral then put it into forward again. 
I'm not sure because my wife mentioned it and I had it in my head or I actually felt something but it didn't feel like we were fully in forward.  The lever is pressed against the pedestal guard so I couldn't go forward any more.
Looked at the knot meter and we were doing 5.1 knots. 
I straightened the lever this week and now with the lever fully forward, I have about 3/8" gap between the lever and pedestal guard.
If forward wasn't fully engaged when I was motoring,  would I have been able to go 5.1 knots.  The throttle wasn't all the way forward either so I know I could have gone faster.

Stu Jackson

You could be just fine.  Why not change the transmission fluid, now.  Becomes a good check, pour the old stuff into a clear glass, like the Transmission 101 picture shows, and you 'll be able to make a good visual check.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mre : If in doubt, go down below and remove the cable from the shift lever on the transmission, manually shift it into fwd & reverse and find out if there was the correct travel??

That's what I'd do!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788