Storing hatch boards

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Where does everyone store their hatch boards?  I can't seem to find a good spot except the shelf in the v-berth.  And do you have a sunbrella case/cover for them.

waterdog

We just keep ours in the port cockpit locker, no cover.  Just tucked in on the inboard edge and we wedge in the gasoline can or other items to keep them from moving around.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Fred Koehlmann

On our 2002 MKII we have a vertical storage place beside the top set of steps in the companionway where they get stored sideways. Port side, on the wall backing to the head. A shock cord keeps them from falling out and keeps them up right, yet they are near by when you need to put them back in.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

I just stick 'em down below.  Either the aft cabin (after that head knocker thread recently, not so much) or mostly in the V berth.  They just don't go anywhere and I don't find that burdensome at all.  I've had to train my "crew" to put the smaller one behind the bigger one with the hasp to avoid scratching.

Please note that Mark I and Mark IIs are quite different.

There's also the wiki

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hatch_Board_Storage

That wiki includes three links back to this message board.

Your boat, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

I've gotten in the habit of taking my hatchboards down below and placing them in the V berth.  I also stow all my canvas there while underway so there's plenty of cushion and they stay in place.  I do like the vertiacl storage idea though.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

mre : Written this up a number of time for Projects, Mainsheet tech notes and WiKi  -- with pictures.

Mine go in the port side lazerette next to the cockpit center. Largest board first with the hasp to boat center and then the smaller board!!

A long ago thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

So far I'm the only one who does this:

I carry them to the settee, then put the bottom hatch board under the cushion over the battery compartment and the upper hatchboard slides in behind the back cushion in the same seat.  No one goes below to sit there underway and I don't hardly notice them when I sit there, you wouldn't know they are there.
There is nothing sticking out to scratch them and they certainly don't rattle around there either.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Andrew Harvey

We store them on the aft cabin shelf.
Have 2 hooks, 1 on top forward and 1 aft in back of shelf and connect a bungee diagonally
Works great.
Andrew Harvey

patrice

Hi,
For me, same as Waterdog.
Just open the locker and put them up against the side.
No need to carry them inside, no bungee.     :clap
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

I stowed them in the port locker last night.  Perfect spot.  I think I'm still going to sew up a sunbrella case for them.  I'm going to re-finish them this winter and don't want them getting scratched.

Ron Hill

mre : I took some old king size pillow cases and did what you are thinking of.   

You don't need sunbrella .  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Volk

M,
I don't know if you clicked on the WIKI site that Stu posted or not, but there are pictures of various locations for the hatch boards from previous postings.  I have been very happy with my storage location (completely out of the way and not hard to do) that was added by the PO.  If you click on the wiki site and drop down to the bottom area, click on html#msg 42868 you will see pictures of what we have. Just another option.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Fuzzy

We store ours behind the port setee back cushions.  You don't really notice them.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475