Where to stay while visiting Annapolis Sailboat show on our C-34.

Previous topic - Next topic

Benasutti

We live aboard our '88 C-34 and we want to visit the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis on Oct 11 - 14, 2013.  Does any of our C-34 brothers or sisters know where we can dock or anchor our boat and see the show.   We will probably just attend one day and needless to say, since we live on our boat we do not own a car.  Due to our limited budget, the cheaper the better.

Kevin Henderson

Having only travelled to Annapolis a couple times I'm not really familiar with the area.  However, if I were sailing my boat there to attend the show, I would try to find something relatively close, with some amenities and not overly expensive.  The marina location linked looks like it could be a short taxi ride or even a ferry over to the show.  There are probably others doing the same thing as you and you could hitch a ride since the the website states that you should reserve a slip early if you're planning to attend the boat show.  Enjoy   :abd:

http://www.annapolismarina.com/marina-annapolis-maryland.shtml
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Ben : For the past few years, I've noted that there have been empty moorings in St Mary's cove (on the other side of the Spa creek bridge).  The moorings belong to the City of Annapolis and they have a 7 day special.  Contact the City Dock Master for more complete info.  The moorings are 1st come first served.
My advice would be to pickup a mooring a couple of days before the show opens.

Once on the mooring you can use your dink or take the water taxi as you'll be in the harbor.  

Most of the marinas are expensive and have a 3 day minimum for the boat show.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Like Ron said, go under the Spa Creek bridge and there is an array of city mooring balls, they are $25 per night.  If you continue up Spa Creek, there are more mooring balls scattered about.  Need to read those closely as some are city mooring balls and some are not. But there are mooring balls further up Spa Creek.  The dinghy ride from Spa Creek to the show is short.  Most likely, you'll want to dinghy to the little dock that is in Spa Creek, very close to the array of mooring balls, as the dinghy docks in the main harbor would not be accessible due to the show.  There are more city mooring balls on Back Creek.  I know there are a few all the way up near Bert Jabins marina.  If you are there, you can dinghy to Eastport (the north side of Back Creek), tie up at the bulkhead, and take a 10 minute walk over the Spa Creek bridge to the show.  The view from the bridge is spectacular, with all the boats and flags from the show.  I also suggest you get a mooring ball a couple days before the show.  When on the mooring balls, you can use the Harbormaster facilities and showers.  You get tokens at the office which allows you to open the locks to get into the bathrooms.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Steve McGill

FYI,

In previous years the Power Boat show has always followed the sailboat show. This year (2013) the PB
show will precede the Sailboat show. Not sure the amount of mooring balls the PB visitors will occupy,
but it may impact some folks  looking for a mooring a few days prior to the big event :clap

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD