Aft bulkhead screw revisited

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Hi Everyone,

My partner in Esprit du Vent and engine guru Franco tried to remove the aft bulkhead and got it to the point of the "hidden screw."  At that point I searched for the issue and I think I found all of the articles.  Our boat is a 1987 model (hull 422) and it definitely has the missing screw.  Can someone who has found it describe where it is or better yet, take a picture.

BTW, Franco reports that all of the screws were the same size.  Perhaps the PO made that change so as not to poke the aft water tank.

We are starting to look at wiring changes and other maintenance issues so we need the aft section wide open.

TIA and smooth sailing,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

n624ma

Bob,
Look on the starboard side of the bulkhead on the inboard side of the "Ell" near the top and you will see a circle about 1/2" diameter that almost matches the surrounding fiberglass gelcoat.

It's putty hiding the screw head. It hides it very well!

I'll get a picture next time I'm at the boat.
Joseph Rheubeck

Steve W10

Hey Bob,

Try here....

Steve

RobertSchuldenfrei

Thanks!  We will try again to remove the bulkhead.  Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Fred Koehlmann

That photo brings up an question from me. I like the additional storage that you have there, but where is your propane tank locker? On our MkII we have no storage there and I suspect it is because we have a propane locker somewhere just behind there.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Roc

Frederick,
I think if you peek your head into the starboard aft lazarette, where the refrigerator compressor is, I believe there is some room to cut a hole and put a little cabinet to extend into the empty cavity.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Indian Falls

I removed mine last December... there are two stainless wood screws I had to saw off with a bare hacksaw blade because the factory installed things AFTER this bulkhead was screwed into the insert that dropped into the hull.
I then took my piece of plywood home for a proper refinnishing.  I did not try to replace the sawed off screws as they are not really needed to hold this panel in place.  I used a 2' long phillips screwdriver through the aft lazzarette to get the others, with a  helper guiding the tip to the screw head.  This is the STUPIDEST installation of a panel at the factory that I could imagine.  At this point I realized how tough it will be to drop the rudder, cuz this panel and the aft water tank need to come out for that to occur.  Good luck fellow sailors!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?