Emergency tiller seal

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,

I was replacing the bilge pump hoses today and noticed a steady drip coming from what I originally thought was the pedestal (it was raining).  Upon further inspection, turns out it was coming through the emergency tiller cover.  I didn't know if it was coming from around the edges or the inspection cover so I removed the entire piece.  I couldn't get the inspection cover to open - part of the problem is that I don't have the proper tool to open it (that is on my list of things to get now) so I brought it home.  I was finally able to get it open and I see what the problem is now.  There is a gasket that is a clear/yellowish rubber material that has dissolved and jammed.  I was able to remove it but now I have no seal.  Does anyone know what this is or what a suitable alternative would be?

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Jack Hutteball

Greg,

I am not sure if your plate is the same as the one on my 2001, but I replaced my o ring last year.  Bought it at a hardware store that had an assortment of larger o rings.  I have the size in my maintenance log on the boat and will get it for you tomorrow.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jack Hutteball

Greg, the gasket is 6" in diameter and 1/8" thick.  Any hardware store that carries a supply of larger O rings should have one.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington