Martec Folding Prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Footloose

I have an opportunity to buy a rebuilt Martec Folding Prop.  It is 14 in dia and 14 degree pitch.  Looking for feedback.

Another victim of the broken search function.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Steve McGill

Dave,

I can't speak to purchasing the prop, but installing on your C34 may be an issue. Our boats came standard with 15x9 which were used on a number of different horse power engines.
Because of this many folks have had success with changing the pitch 1 or 2 degrees. I currently have a 15x10 on mine, originally 15x9 and am not sure it was totally worth the effort,
A 14 degree prop is a pretty deep cut and may severely bog down your engine.

I fould that our internal search is the best, when it works. What I have been doing without it is either using the Google search on the home page or Google on any open browser.
i.e. search on "Martec Folding Prop C34" or other variations will bring up many links directly to our site.

Take care,

Steve M.
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Indian Falls

Other search engines are finding posts in this site.. I just googled "c34 folding prop" and found posts here.
A bit clunky but better than nothing.

Is that prop a 2 blade or a 3?  I'd be willing to try it with a two blade but 4-5 degrees is lot of pitch difference.
The difference in area between a 15'' disc and a 14'' disc is 22 square inches, in percentage that's close to 12.5% and with one less blade would be even less load on the engine.  That's how I rationalize it. 
Hopefully you can find another owner who tried this and posted his results.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Clay Greene

Why don't you call Martec and ask them what the appropriate prop is for your engine and transmission?  They'll most likely tell you whether it is a good idea or not.  They don't want you to have a bad experience with one of their products even if you aren't buying it from them. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

ghebbns

The Martec Folding Prop that came with my boat is a Mk 3, 16 inch dia and 14 pitch.  Given everything I have read on here, I was concerned that it was grossly mis-sized.  I wrote Martec and they recommended a 16 inch dia 12 pitch prop for my boat (1990 Mk 1.5, Universal 25xp).  Not sure how well a 14 14 will work.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ted Pounds

If I recall correctly a 16 inch is too big and you will have clearance problems.  It may clear the hull but I think the hull will interfere with flow over the blades...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447