poured mast boot

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

My mast boot is just about gone.  There is no way that the upper clamp will stay put once I'm in good wind and waves, and it's cracking all the way around.
I've heard of a different kind of boot, that you can purchase in almost liquid form, and "pour" it down around the mast, which will then solidify and keep tight much better than the traditional kind.  Has anyone used this, and where can I find it?

Also, can anyone explain to me the subtle art of jamming wedges around the mast so they will not fall back down?

Thanks

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Ted Pounds

Fulvio,

I believe what you're refering to is "Spartite" which is actually a replacement for the wedges and not the boot.  Although it does also seal the mast where it goes through the deck, Spartite needs to be protected from the sun.  I put it on Molly Rose a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it.  No more wedges falling out.  I kept the original boot on to protect it.  I got my Spartite from Layline.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rappareems

I "installed" spartite last season and it works beautifully. I purchased it at the Annapolis Boat Show, check out Spartite.com

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario