Weal Sea's New Mahogany Cockpit Floor Inserts!!

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

We (Ben Holland and I) made the mahogany cockpit floor inserts for Weal Sea last week using as a pattern the inserts from Ben Holland & Chris Hanika's C-34 "ChriSea" (#832). Weal Sea is on the hard at Hammond Marina (Hammond, Indiana) so I drove up and test fitted the inserts this last weekend and took some photos.  They look great (see pictures below).  I promised I'd publish the "Do It Yourself Instructions".... therefore, Ben & I working on the drawings / plans and will be putting them on the projects page as soon as they are complete.. it will take a while.. please be patient.
Dan Harrington
Weal Sea #1289
---
Note- If the photo of the inserts below this message does not show up on your monitor, go to http://localline.com/~saildan and click on "MontageCockpitInserts-SMALL"...
(This is my first attempt to use Bob Kuba's method of inserting photos.)
---

Jim Price

Those look too good to walk on!!  Maybe you should take them up each time before you go out ....

Your plans will be interesting.  But if I could ask one question, do the "joists" beneath the strips have channels cut in them to aid in the cockpit draining or are you depending on the raised / dimpled surface of the cockpit floor to provide adequate drainage?
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

SailDan

Jim,
There are channels in each cross-brace / "joists" for drainage. However, we also added pads on each cross-brace which raises the inserts about 3/16" above the cockpit floor / deck / sole (?... Which is correct?).  This provides additional space for drainage as well as prevents scoring of the cockpit's fiber glass deck. The latter was a concern raised by one of the previous members (Mark Wey) who responded to my original message about "Where to purchase inserts". "ChriSea's" inserts (C-34 #832), which we used for our pattern, also had channels and pads. The pads and channels can be seen in the picture below... I will publish the complete set of pictures with the "Do Its Yourself Instructions" on the projects page later.
Dan
Weal Sea, #1289
---

[This message was edited by Dan Harrington, #1289  1994, "Weal Sea" on January 28, 2003 at 07:42 AM.]