Replacing holding tank

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I'm planning on replacing all the plumbing hoses on the boat.  In our area, we have to get our plumbing inspection by the DEM.  On the pump out line we are supposed to have a Y valve installed.  One line to the pumpout, one line to the macerator.  There is supposed to be a lock or something on the macerator side of the Y valve so you don't have accidental discharge.  I'm in Narrangansett Bay in RI.  Looking at my tank, there are 2 holes in the side, one high for pumpout, one low for macerator.  To comply with DEM I'd have to cap the low hole.  Was thinking of replacing the tank with only 1 high hole and a pickup tube which reaches down to the bottom of the tank.  This way I'd never have to worry about the cap leaking and a mess on the boat.  If I'm off shore, do you think the macerator would have enough head to suck through the pickup tube?

Footloose

When we bought our boat a macerator was installed.  This had to be remove to be legal on Lake Champlain.  Instead of replacing the tank I bought a plumbing cap for about a buck.  I wrapped the threads in Teflon tape.  It has been like this for seven years without a leak.

My point is, save your boating bucks for something other than a new tank.  Sorry that I can't answer your question.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ted Pounds

I think you've got your holes mixed up, so to speak  :D  The lower hole is for pump out/discharge through the macerator.  You can't pump out from the top because all the "stuff" is on the bottom.  The upper hole comes from the head.  That hole needs to be high so "stuff" doesn't back up into the head.  
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

mregan

You know, I think you are right.  I better take a look again.  Although, when I bought my previous boat, I had to install a new tank.  Peggy, The Head Mistress said to put the pumpout hole up high on the side and have the tank manufacturer install a pickup tube from the hole to the bottom of the tank for pumpouts.  This way if the hose ever had a leak, all the contents of the tank wouldn't leak out.

Ted Pounds

Interesting idea...  It does make it more complicated that way.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

mregan

I've had that setup in my C-30 for the last 5 years.  Never had a problem when pumping out.  The C-30 boat doesn't have a macerator.  We sail quite a bit in Narragansett Bay, which is a no discharge zone, so the macerator on the C-34 isn't going to get used much anyway.