Refrigeration compressor noise

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I'm replacing my refrigeration unit on my 1986.  The compressor is currently located in the stern lazzarete.  Is this a good spot for the replacement compressor?  I read up on some old threads.  Another location would be under the dinette seating.  Looks like I'd have to cut in ventilation grilles for this location.  Wondering on the noise of the compressor as it cycles at night.  Are the units noisy?  Only comparison I have is the 12v refrigerator on my C-30.  Used to make a humming noise when running.

Stu Jackson

There are only two locations for those units on our boats, and you mentioned them both.  Everybody has a different threshold of noise when it comes to sleeping.  Ours is in the lazarette and we used to sleep in the "garage."  Never bothered us.  We now use the V berth.  If you place it in the saloon, you'll need to provide adequate ventilation, which includes two grilles, not just one.  One grille is for air in, the other for air out.  My guess is that it will be noisier in the saloon than in the lazarette.  Plus you'd lose some storage space in the forward settee just aft of the bulkhead which is where most folks put them.  We have two of our three house bank batteries in there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mre : The stern lazerette is the factory selected site for the compressor unit when it was installed by Catalina.  The salon location is where most owners have added it when added at a later time, because it is easier to install there.

The aft starboard lazerette area is probably best for cooling and the least amount of noise overall.

You might want to have a manufactures rep. find out why yours is noisy.   A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Our compressor is in the locker by the nav station.  It's at the bottom and back towards the hull side.  Mostly out of the way
and pretty quiet, don't really hear it unless we try.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475