Solar Vent Alternatives to Nicro??

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Hi all,
My boat came with the dorade vents removed and just capped off.  Obviously I need to add ventilation to the boat.  I am considering putting solar vents in place of the dorade vents.  I would really like to keep air moving in the boat if possible.  It seems that most people purchase the Nicro N20704S, but the vast majority of reviews I see are terrible for these vents.  I realize that any product is likely to receive some bad reviews, but the flags really goes up on this one. Most seem to fail within the first year, and many within a few months.  Has anyone found a good solar vent alternative to the Nicro vents?  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Jim Hardesty

Mike,
I'd just replace the dorades.  Shamrock is a MKII (no dorades) and I for one don't think that eliminating the dorades was an improvement.  May be just a cost cutting change.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Mike, check the link in this post:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7246.msg49185.html#msg49185

You should be able to get a set of replacement dorades, either the original Vetus or the ones I bought.  I think that the dorades provide great ventilation compare to the Nicros which some have used to replace them.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mike : Personally, I'd put the dorade vents back on. 
I've always found them as a cheap way to vent the boat especially when at anchor. 
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Well I suppose I'll pile on here as well. :D
The Dorades were placed there originally for a reason.  They are (and have been for centuries) an efficient way of providing some ventilation below deck, while alos keeping seawater out.  And... aesthetically, I personally think they finish off the nautical look of a boat... and any boat for that matter.  I cannot imagine NOT having Dorades.  I say replace the Nicros with a Dorade. 
Just my 2 cents though   :abd: 
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Mike McDonald

Thanks for the input everyone.  It sounds like everyone agrees that dorades make more sense than Solar Vents.  No dorades came with the boat, so I'll be starting from scratch.  The boat had some cabin top leaks when I bought it, and the water dripped through the dorade vent openings.  I'm guessing that the previous owner assumed the dorades were contributing to the leaks and capped them off.  I found the leaks were actually from the screw holes under the 2 teak rails running fore and aft along the sliding hatch cover.  I had posted earlier about my work on removing the teak for refinishing and re-installing in the spring.  

Based on previous posts, it appears that the Vetus 4" - "Jerry" dorades are the best/closest replacement for my boat - 1987 MK-I, with 5" diameter openings.  (pretty pricey)

I also saw that in a previous post by "Indian Falls" / Dan & Dar, about the purchase of "Air-Only Ventilators" for their 1990 C-34.  http://www.air-onlyventilators.com/main/?page=ventDsd  They seem to be quite a bit less expensive, and look pretty good in the literature.  It appears that I can purchase a pair of DSD vents complete for about $228.18, including 18% vat and shipping cost.  I would love to hear from Dan or anyone else who may have tried these vents.  Do they really work as advertised?  Any installation problems?  I believe the 1990 boats have a smaller opening for the dorade vents than my 1987? This vent has a 6.3" outside diameter and a 3.74" inside diamater.  My boat has a 5" diameter opening.  Also, 12v fan kits are available for these DSD dorade vents for additional cost.

2012 was my 1st season with the boat, and it was pretty hot and stuffy in the boat each time I opened it up at the dock.  I do have some additional concerns.  My boat is tied to a dock most of the time, and is protected from the breeze most of the time.  (a heavily treed hill adjacent to all of the docks only about 25' or so from the boat)
1.  Will the dorades keep the boat ventilated with little or no breeze?  
2.  With dorade vents, is it wise to keep a small fan running inside the boat when I'm not there, just to keep air moving, or is that too risky when unattended?

I always value your thoughts and opinions.  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mike,

1.  When you paste a hyperlink into your message, sometimes it doesn't include the link.  You need to highlight the link and them click on the "Insert Hyperlink" button, bottom row, fourth button from the left.  I did that in your message.

2.  They look just fine, seems another good source for dorades.  These also seem to be better than the ones I bought, 'cuz mine don't have the actual dorade body that stops water coming in.  All mine are are cowls with a closure down below, like the OEM cowls.  Dorades are different than cowls with closers below because they have water traps, cowls don't.  I leave mine facing out to avoid green water over the bow coming down below.

3.  Even with your limited air at your dock, the dorade/cowls will work, since when it gets hot in the boat, the hot air will rise and have somewhere to go.  And breezes don't always come from exactly the same direction.

for future searches: dorade search
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

Hi Mike,

All my input on using these is found on this link:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6238.15.html

Pics, commentary, problems etc...  all in all I recommend these regardless of slight fitment issues.

Good Luck!

Dan
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Mike : You probably haven't seen the numerous other posts on this topic, but you have a 4" hole origionally  for a Vetus Dorade vent - NOT a 3" Nicro (1989 and later C34s).
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Dan,
Thanks for the link.  The one I found earlier didn't have the pictures.  They look very nice.  I can't believe your dorades survived that shipping box.

Ron,
My boat is a 1987 (I probably didn't make that clear) and when I measured the openings, they were 5" diameter.  I believe the later models went to the smaller openings, based on what I've seen on the forum.  Thanks for your input, I always appreciate your insight. 

I am expecting some follow up info from a vendor (BOTC Wind and Solar) who sells the Air-Only Dorado Ventilators.  I'll get back when I get the info.  Thanks again to everyone.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : You may want to measure again, as the 1986 thru 1988 had a 4" dorade vent and the 1989 and later had a 3" dorade vent (WHEN THEY LEFT THE FACTORY).    

Measure the inside of the cabin overhead.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Hi Ron,
Now you've got me second guessing my measuring skills.  The boat is covered for the winter, but the snow hasn't really started falling yet.  If I can get into the boat again before the snow falls I'll check it again.  Thanks.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario