jabsco toilet model 29090-3000

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

Will not pump what in.  It pumps water out when you poor water in to the boll.  Can't get sea water to flow through.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Fred Koehlmann

I assume that the through hull is open?
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

Dave : Good to hear from you again!!  
It sounds to me as though you have a blockage in the inlet line and or the dry bowl/wet bowl lever/inside valve is not working on the wet bowl side.

I'd first check the inlet raw water line first.  
Close the center thru hull ballcock and remove the line attachment from the back of the head pump.  Then with the line off and at about the same height that it was attached, slowly open the ballcock and water should start to flow out of the line.  If it doesn't then slowly lower the line and water should start to flow (the top of the head is about the water line on the outside of the hull).  If there is no water you've got a clog in the line or thru hull connection.  Take a dingy pump and use it to blow the line clear, being ready to shut off that thru hull - fast.

If the water come out of the removed inlet line when you open the ballcock on that thru hull, then you probably need to replace at the valve assembly under the pump handle.  Be careful removing the 6 screw to get at that valve, as they tend to break the molded portion of the pump that they are screwed in to.  My fix for that is to change to a long nut and bolt instead of a screw.

Happy Hunting!!
Ron, Apache #788

dave davis

Thanks Ron for your reply to my getting no inlet flow in the salt water toilet when pumping. This is a relatively young Jabsco Manual Toilet unit installed four years ago. It has been used very few times since I have not been on any cruises. It is  mostly used for short Bay races. But, the hoses, piping and valves are all the originals from 1988.
As a result of your comments it led me to the thought that maybe the "vented loop" may be part of the problem. If the vented loop valve was stuck open all the time, I would be sucking in air instead of water while pumping, right? I have not had a chance to follow up on your comments as of yet.
I plan to follow your well thought out suggestions and I will reply. Thanks again for your help, as usual, Dave 707 .
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Stu Jackson

Hi, Dave.  Since you have the OEM setup, the vented loop is most likely placed in the correct position, between the pump and the bowl most likely in the nav station locker.  Many folks who do head refits mistakenly place one in the line between the thru hull inlet and the pump.

I agree with Ron, it could well be the valve (wet bowl dry bowl) inside the pump.  These have been reported repeatedly on other websites.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dave : I don't believe that your vented loop is the problem.  It should be on the exit line from the pump to the bowl.  If the vented loop valve were to stay open some of the water would squirt out the top when pumping.  The usual problem with that valve, is that it doesn't open and sticks closed - meaning the column of water is NOT broken as it should be.

Again, the head inlet water line/thru hull could be clogged or the valve under the Dry/Wet bowl isn't working on Wet Bowl. Or a combination of both!!

You can use the head shower to fill the bowl and the Dry bowl to pump it out, if you want to continue racing until you can really look at the hose/valve.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788