Aqua muffler too expensive

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdolphin

Ron thanks for the offer I couldn't wait I needed done before that.  I apologize for the delay for the post.

First I was worried about the measurements Catalina direct was showing on their website. They are showing 141/4".  It is so tight for that muffler to fit and mine was 13 7/8 ish. I called them and asked them to take the one out they are shipping to me and it was the same size as mine.

Second, I took out all the screws of the old muffler and it wouldn't budge.  It was gel coated in.   I took a hammer and hit around to break the seal and that worked.

Third VERY IMPORTANT! Do not take out the aft stateroom.  Take the door off the sink move the fuel pump and filters, disconnect the hoses and take out and put in the new muffler through the sink door.

Fourth cockpit lazarette cut old hose it's about half way. Take panel off  where fuel tank is then you can grab hose in aft stateroom and push through. This is one way to do it with one person.

New hose, go through hole in cockpit lazarette push through.  Then go down below in aft stateroom grab hose and pull. Go to sink opening pull.

Other end feed through hole leading aft.  The new hose is so much easier getting in as a continuous 17' then even getting the old hose out being cut in half.

I used all 17'. Remember where all the bends are. Take pics. 

I have a pic of completed install.  Stu I am not sure how to upload it.  I wanted to get some info to the board.  Out of time got to go.

Doug and Donna #171

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailingdolphin on October 08, 2012, 09:18:25 AMStu I am not sure how to upload it.  I wanted to get some info to the board.

Doug, when posting a reply, scroll down to Additional Options, click on it and following the attachments instructions.  Make sure your pictures are small enough.  Use Image Resizer, type resizer in the search box if you're not sure how to do that.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4053.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Doug : I hope that you read my articles in the Mainsheet Tech Notes on  "Removing/Installing a new Aqua Lift muffler" and "Installing a new exhaust hose" before taking them on?? Both of these articles are for a MK I.  
The Mk II has a slightly different muffler system !!!

There aren't many projects on a C34 that have not been already written up!!  You just need to look for them.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I would love to have a repeat of this very helpful conversation for MK II owners. I have been unable to find a suitable 15"+ hump hose for the M35/muffler connection so I know that I am going to spring a leak sometime and would like to be prepared if a fibreglass repair is problematic. The Vetus mufflers look good and the price is right but I am not sure which one would fit and be of adequate size. The MK II exhaust hose is only about 8 ft long so muffler volume should be less of an issue but the output hose is 2" ID while the input is 1 5/8" as I recall.

Has anyone actually repalced the OEM MK II muffler with an alternative?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Gary

You're right in noticing different input and output hose diameters. My installation of a Vetus (previous page post) was accomplished by creating a reducer / increaser by turning a small piece of heavy wall PVC plumbing pipe on a wood lath. It was pretty easy to do.

The Vetus specs on that post show mufflers with different diameters to choose from. A call to Vetus may provide an answer as to water volume capacity needed for length of muffler hose.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Roc

John,
We communicated on this before.  Here's the message.  I've had this Vetus hose for a number of years.  It's designed to make tight bends.  Much better than the OEM hose that is on from the factory.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6279.0.html

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

John Langford

Hi Roc
I still have the information you provided. Thanks. But I am still interested in pursuing the conversation about possible replacement mufflers.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S