raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Capella

Decided to treat Capella to a professional service. Was told the raw water pump required a new bearing, seals and impeller. Cost $ 280 including labour. The repaired pump failed to prime after the inlet was lifted out of the water while sailing. Mechanic told me that Oberdorfer pumps are not very good and could not be relied to self prime. To cut a long story short I purchase a replacement pump from Marine Pumps direct for $ 203. Took about 10 minutes to install and it self primed almost the very instant the motor started. Lesson learned is that it is safer and cheaper to replace old parts that are vital to the motors life.

SailingJerry

Glad the second pump worked out, but next time you should check out a water pump from Kubota. It is the same pump as the one on the Universal. Last year, because of the tsunami in Japan, there wasn't a water pump to be had anywhere, and my sailing season eas in jeopardy. A kind secretary at one parts department turned me on to the Kubota sight. Also, it was about $80.
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Capella on September 21, 2012, 11:20:41 PM
Mechanic told me that Oberdorfer pumps are not very good and could not be relied to self prime.

Hogwash.

Get pumps and parts from DEPCO.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Sailing Jerry : You are going to have to explain to most of us how Kubota got into the raw water pump business.  FYI, Oberdoffer is American and was made in New York.  
The only reason it is on an M25 & M25XP is that Universal took a Kubota engine block from a tractor (which doesn't need a raw water pump) and made it into a marine engine that DOES need a raw water pump.  The Universal Co. added a raw water pump and selected one of 3 manufactures pumps to be install on their engines (Sherwood - Oberdoffer - Johnson).

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : The main reason an Oberdoffer pump will not self prime is if one or more of the 6 impeller blades is broken or faulty; or the faceplate is worn and the pump therefor is not getting the best suction. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SailingJerry

Oops, too many hours on the water today. I meant the fresh water pump! But at least it was blowing 10 - 15 on Long Island Sound.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame