Alternator - Balmar 70A on a 35B engine

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum M

Guys, I've had this alternator for 2 summers now and all I can say is GET ONE if you need to recharge your batteries in no time.
We do lots of ancoring and when we depart in the morning...by the time that we get the hook winched and move out of the bay to the sailing area (it's usually 30 min or more) my battery bank is full!!!
I complained in the past about my Adler not keping my milk for more than 1 day....now I keep ice all summer long.
I'm very happy and do recommand it.

If I stay for extended period of time...like a few days, I'll crank the engine and let it run for about 30 min at some 1500/1800rpm and it does the trick.  As a bonus I get hot water.

It'a a pretty straight forward installation...anyone with basic skills can install it...after ready a couple of times the instruction sheet.

Here's a genral view of the installation:

Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Comments on the 3rd picture:

You'll see the control box on the upper left hand corner (blueish).

Note:  My spare belt.

On my engine some hoses do pass through the center of the belt...in case of an emergency one would have to disconnect theses hoses in order to install a new one.  In my set up, one is allready passed and stand by for  aquick installation (red wrap).  All I would have to do is losen the bolt (above the alternator), slip on the spare one and retension the belt.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

mainesail

Nice install..

Couple of thoughts.

#1 You'll want to get that Balmar regulator out of the engine bay or you'll likely have a failure. They make a big point of not installing it in the engine bay due to heat. If it MUST be in the engine bay get it as low as possible so it stays cooler. Up high is where the heat is.

#2 I don't know how you are measuring or determining your bank getting back to 100% but 30 minutes is not getting you anywhere close to 100% SOC after three days on the hook with refrigeration. Battery acceptance determines the time it takes to get back to 100% and it can take 7-10+ hours no matter whether you have a 1000A alternator or a 70A alternator. The last few % of charge take hours and this is why cruisers always cycle between 50% and 85% state of charge because the last 15-20% take hours and hours to replenish.

#3 EXCELLENT use of the alternator temp sensor. I wish more DIY's and installers would install them..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Serge : Recommend that you take Mainsails comments to heart!! -- Especially on your Balmar Voltage Regulator.

Look at it and you can see it in "heat sync" for better cooling!!  Most of us have mounted hte VR around the corner under the head sink down low for better cooling.  You can open the door under the sink and montior it readings.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

This may be a dumb question but where is the alternator temp sensor? I never heard of that before! :shock:
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Les : If you have one of the newer Balmar Voltage Reg. it has the capability of monitering the alternator case temp.  You have a wire that connects to the case and pluggs into the VR.  If the case gets too hot (don't know the temp limit) the VR will shut down the field wire current until the case cools down.

The new VR also have the same capibility with the temp of the batteries !!   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

Understood. Thanks Ron. I don't have a Balmer Alternator or voltage regulator, although I did replace my original with a 90 amp model.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Momentum M

Hi guys..comments are well taken and before next splash I'll move the regulator to a cooler spot..maybe just above under the steps...in a corner and then I can see what's doing.... I've got all Winter to figure a better spot.  I did miss this instruction from Balmar...but it's common sense to keep electronics in the cool.

As far as the batteries goes....top up or not my point was that it gives me enough juice to run my Adler, etc....and since the installation of this alternator I don't have any weak batteries and plenty of cold beer!!!
Originaly I was looking at wind vane or solar captor even solar stick and since I didn't know what was best...I decide that for approx $800. without any holes or modifications to the boat/bimini I would try it.  I just tought that I would let you guys know that It work very well for me....granted having the 3 systems could be ideal but again the $$$ that I would have to spend...not to mention loading the boat of more accessories.....this Balmer does the job for me.
Thanks
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Ed Shankle

I drilled a hole in the corner of the shelf in the aft berth that is behind the slatted vents, above the engine. Ran the wires through it and mounted the regulator on the small wall port side of the shelf. The PO (many moons ago) had mounted an ammeter there, so I just put the regulator above it, to minimize the places to go read them! But it's worked out fine.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Momentum M

Good Idea ED...I'll look to do a similar installation.
Thanks
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May