New roller furling mainsail

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Took a close look at my sails yesterday and it's getting time to replace.  Has anyone replaced their roller furling main?   If so, with what?  I know that the OEM mast maker (Charlston Spar I think) says not to use vertical battens due to space inside the mast where the sail rolls up.  But, that was a decade ago.  There may be differnt materials (battens) now.  I've talked to sail making people at boat shows and gotten mixed stories ie sales pitches.  When I asked for a satified customer or pictures got no response. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ralph Masters

Furling main sail!!  Oh man, those are nice.  Been crewing on a dock mates boat with main furling.  My next boat will have furling main sail.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

tonywright

Still love my furling mainsail. I haven't replaced it, but I do get my sailmaker to check and do minor repairs every winter. So far it is holding up well: get minor tears along the luff that he fixes.  I don't think that the space inside the mast is any bigger than it was. The sail seems to fill it all up. I don't think that there is any space for battens, but will be curious what you find out.
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

TonyP

As less sail is being wound on up high, I would think they would fit.
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Dave DeAre

I was very unhappy with the original Catalina roller furling mainsail that came with the 2002 C34 that I purchased in 2006. I bought a new Doyle roller furling main with 4 vertical battens for the 2007 season. The sail has been good, greater sail area, no sag or fluttering in the leach. I have had no problems with battens while furling.

Before building the new sail, Doyle came to the boat and inspected the Charleson Spars mast and determined that it was suitable for vertical battens. They also installed the sail and confirmed it worked well on a test sail. This sail is now in it's 6th season with no problems.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Jim Hardesty

Thanks Dave, thats just the information I wanted to go forward.  How well does it set reefed?  If it wouldn't be any trouble.  Do you have pictures of the sail?  A phone number for the sail loft?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Dave DeAre

Jim, sorry but I do not have any useful photos of the mainsail. It works just fine reefed. The sail was from the Doyle Chicago loft 312-421-9900. Owner of the loft is John Baxter.
Hope this helps.
Dave
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago