engine died, blue smoke

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

this post just maybe help another boater. 
Just wanted to post what happened to me, left anchorage after a severe bumpy night on the hook, got about a mile away and the engine started blowing a lot of blue smoke and died, (plenty water coming out of exhaust, temp about 160,) we were drifting to the rocky shore with no wind to sail off it.  Got the dignhy ready to tow and a good samariton came along in another catalina and towed me to my dock. While being towed, I had time to do stuff.
I changed the fuel filter, no help, the electric pump ran real fast, then slowed down as it should, I bled the line through the knurled knob, engine coughed to life, lots of blue smoke then died.  I called my local mechanic, thinking I had blown a ring or something, he assured me these are real tough engines, suggested I blow back through the fuel supply line from the tank, sure enough it was plugged. fuel started coming out and was able to start the engine again, blue smoke dissappeared,
Now, I know I have to deal with the pickup tube and plugged supply line issue,  I have always equated "blue smoke and engine dying" with a broken piston or ring,  was real elated and suprised it was simply plugged fuel supply line.  btw, still not sure how the blue smoke from engine exhaust, equated a plugged fuel supply line. any ideas?
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

scotty

Glad to hear that it was not more serious.  Your boat is about the same age as mine.  Last summer I took out the pick up tube in the tank to take off the filter (and it turned out to be gone already!).  It was pretty easy and took less than half a day (including beer breaks).  Good luck!
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Ken Juul made a great suggestion:  When you take the damn fuel pickup screen off you intake in the tank, write down that you did so on the side of the tank, so the next owner won't waste his time.

Oh, it would be helpful to all skippers to read the Critical Upgrades page (again).  Wouldn't hurt.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

Thank you, I am going to remove fuel and tank for cleaning, never want to go through that again. btw, I found primary S24S fuel filters for about 22 bucks, I'm thinking that is a good price from http://www.allpointsmarineco.com/, now, my old filters are R24SUL, I believe the UL means underwriters list, and I do believe that is for gas engine protection, anyone use the R24S? thoughts?  thank you  Bob 
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

I'm confused by the S designation.  Most of the ones I've seen on our boats are the R24 series, here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1124.0.html  reply #7, and they are for diesel, not gas.  I tried looking up your S24S number on a few filter websites and came up empty.  You should assure yourself that what you purchased is for diesel.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Bob,
When going thru my entire fuel system I read about "3rd fuel filter" here on the forum that is inside the electric fuel pump.  Would suggest cleaning that filter as well while you are checking everything fuel related . Mine was as black and gunked as the fuel pick up screen was when I removed it. Also I was plumbed from fuel tank to fuel pump to seperator filter to the engine so filter in the pump was first in line . Read about replumbing that here to.  Once that 3rd  filter was cleaned the engine has run much smoother and the soot on transom has been much reduced. After seeing that 3rd filter I pulled the tank and much to my suprise it was clean but it was worth the effort for peace of mind knowing it was clean especially when out in heavy seas stirring the tank . Not sure on why the blue smoke question.

Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Bobg

Sorry Stu, typo, should have read R24S, I havn't purchased any yet. and Rick thanks for the tip on the Pump screen, my pump is after the primary filter, something is definetly going on in the tank and supply line, enough to check it all out.  gotta get a pump and pump out about 20 gallons of fuel  Thanks guys

TonyP

Bob
Could the 'UL' stand for UnLeaded (petrol)?
Good luck with it.
cheers Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ron Hill

BobG : You don't need to get a pump to pump out the tank - as you've already go one!!!  It's called your electric fuel (lift) pump.  

All you need to do is to get a 3 ft+  length of 3/8" fuel hose and connect it to the output side of the electric fuel pump and have 4or5  5gal fuel containers on hand.  Take the hose and put it in a container, turn on the key switch and then turn ON the battery selector switch.  The activated pump will pump the fuel out of the tank in to a container.  When that container is full switch to another container or shut OFF the battery switch to stop the pump.

Make sure the fuel line is plumbed from the tank, to the Racor filter, to the fuel pump and then to the engine.  If it is plumbed like I mentioned before you empty the tank,  you have just "polished" the fuel (cleaned it) so it can be used again!!  

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

Ron, thank you for your always welcome advice, what you are saying is let the fuel pump pump the fuel out of the tank, through the filter into my collection cans, I kind of thought that way, but was thinking that would be undo stress on the electric fuel pump.  pumping 25 gallons continuously, however, I welcome your advice and will do as you say.  Then I will remove the tank, bring it home, and clean at my leisure in my garage, we have very clean fuel up here in the Apostle Islands WI, so I never gave it a thought that my tank would be gunked up to impact the supply line. thinking the primary filter would take care of the little bit of gunk we may have up here, I am a believer now.   Sooner or later, everything you guys say to do in the critical to do list comes true to someone.   

Was kind of nice another "Catalina" came along when they did, and towed me 15 miles,  all they wanted was for me to pay it forward, course, a nice dinner gift certificate is in order to these wonderful strangers. Thank you everyone.   Still can't understand the copious amount of blue smoke, although another diesel guy said that will happen if your engine is starved of fuel???????

Ron Hill

BobG : To pump 25 gals of diesel won't hurt your pump at all.  That what it does -pump fuel.

If you research blue smoke from diesels, it usually indicates oil is being burned.  I hope it was just your fuel starvation.

If you look at the Mainsheet Tech Notes you'll find an article I wrote on removal and cleaning a C34 diesel fuel tank.  Here In Northern Virginia every time I said "fuel tank" they wouldn't touch it.  Even though I told them it was Diesel!! That's why I cleaned my tank myself.
So If you have a place that will clean your tank, have them do it.

Good luck !
Ron, Apache #788