Nylon/Narlon fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Howdy all and happy 4th o' July -- one day early.
I've noticed a trend in my fresh water system. On the hot water side, the nylon connectors, elbows and T fittings fail regularly. I wind up replacing them on nearly a 12 - 18 month period. Just wondering if it is due to us living aboard and constantly using the hot water....... :shock:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

There is that possibility if you keep the hot water electrical ON all the time.  It only takes 15-30 minutes to heat the full six gallons.  Then turn off the switch until you need more hot water.  The other solution is to replace the plastic fittings with metal ones.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

I replumbed my boat with PEX. It is stiffer and any bends require a bit more thought.

Ron Hill

Lance : As I mentioned before, the nylon hot water fittings do NOT hold up well when the water is hot!

The nylon tends to go from round to oval when you keep tightening them to stop leaks/seeps.  Pipe dope (non harding thread sealent) will help.

I've replaced mine with brass fittings for the water "into and out of" the water heater.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron, I too replaced those as well and it worked well ever since. Will take up the other suggestions. Thanks all.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622