Large Roach Main

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbaer

I am shopping for a new main.  Several lofts offer a "large roach" sail that increases sail area by 6 or 7%.
I am getting conflicting opinions on the benefit of this.  Can someone help me out here?

Dave Davis poncho

Dave, I don't know where you keep your boat, but if you get into racing, there may be a restriction on the size of your roach. In San Francisco, there is a formula which I could give you if your interested. We have never included it in our Class Rules, but maybe our National Measurer, George Bran may wish to update the Rules.
Another point you might run into, if the roach gets too big, you will have trouble hitting your back stay when you tack.

Dave Davis

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Davis
Dave, I don't know where you keep your boat, but if you get into racing, there may be a restriction on the size of your roach. In San Francisco, there is a formula which I could give you if your interested. We have never included it in our Class Rules, but maybe our National Measurer, George Bran may wish to update the Rules.
Another point you might run into, if the roach gets too big, you will have trouble hitting your back stay when you tack.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>