waste through hull for ac

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I'm in the process of installing an AC.  Was looking where to put the through hull for the AC water cooling.  Forward of the overboard waste looked good, then I thought.  How much trouble would it be to remove the waste through hull and replace it with the AC strainer?   I sail the Great Lakes (no discharge) so I already have removed the macerator.  If needed, it's not much of a job to regain the discharge capabilities.  I like the idea of getting rid of an unused through hull.  Or is there something that I'm not seeing?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Peggie Hall

A hole in the boat is a hole in the boat...nothing unique about any of 'em, so although I wouldn't use the same thru-hull to combine black or gray water discharge and AC water discharge, there's no reason why any unused thru-hull can't can't be "repurposed."

The only caveat:  you don't want a clean water intake thru-hull close enough to a gray or black water discharge thru-hull to risk pulling IN the "dirty" discharge from it.  Doesn't appear that's a risk in this case.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Ken Juul

No sense in putting another hole in the boat. If it ever does become a blue water cruiser, add the other thru hull then. 

How often do you need to clean your stainers.  Here in the Chesapeake during nettle (jelly fish) season it can be daily.  If your situation is similar, you will want to put the strainer somewhere easy to access, that won't make a big mess when it is cleaning time.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA