Need Lewmar 46 Jaw Kit

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

The jaws on my Lewmar 46 self tailing winches on my 1986 C34 are worn and need replacing.  I tried the 44st/46st kit, but it doesn't fit my older winches.  Lewmar says they don't make the jaw kits any longer for my winch.  Does anyone have a source for these older jaw kits?  Thanks.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Ron Hill

Mark : At one time Lewmar had a "winch trade in" program.

Don't know how good it was, but it might be worth looking into if you can't find the right parts.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Don't know how many wraps you put on your winches before tailing them, but have you considered just cleaning them and using one more wrap?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

What about using larger diameter sheet lines, like half inch or larger for instance. Perhaps the larger lines and three or four wraps may do the trick. New sheet whinches are very expensive.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Mark : Your statement that you need new"jaws".
I assume that the winch will not hold it's position regardless of the number of wraps and the ratcheting mechanism will no longer hold ? 
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Sutherland

My problem is that the jaws(upper/lower crowns) don't hold the line very well anymore.   The line tends to fall out of the jaws.  The larger diameter line suggested by Les may help.

Stu Jackson

Do you keep the line over the stripper arm?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Dave Spencer

Mark,
What size line have you been using on the winch?  I think you would be surprised at what an extra 1/16" would do.  Can you try it with a spare length of line 1/16" larger than what you are using now?
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Les Luzar

Mark,
Stop by my boat and check out my sheet lines. They are oversized and work great, and because they are oversized they have good hand too.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Mark : Now that we know that your problem is - your sheet line will not stay put in the self tailer - I believe that I can help with some advice.

I had a similar problem when I used the recommend 7/16" braid on braid sheet line for the Genoa. 
I switched to 1/2 " Regatta Polyester Single Braid line.  It will stay in the self tailer and is very easy for handling.   
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

I did the same as Ron. Yes, it's heavier and not optimal in light air, but it was so easy on your hands, I often didn't wear gloves and it didn't hockle at the turning blocks.

Stu Jackson

Just occurred to me...when was the last time you cleaned your jib sheets?

Ron Hill

Guys : Stu has a thought and washing that does "bulk up" a line, but I found it will only have that bulk last temporally.

After some normal strain, the diameter of the line will be reduced from it's larger "washed softened state" back to it's original size.  Only solution is a larger diameter line in the self tailer. 

Ron, Apache #788

scotty

I've used Downey fabric softener on my lines.  (soak the lines)  It might help the sheets lay into the jaws better.
Scotty

Mark Sutherland

Thanks everyone.  It sounds like sizing UP the line a bit and using the Regatta Polyester single braid line is worth a try.  I appreciate it.  I was really cringing over the idea of replacing the whole winch, which otherwise works just fine.  Thanks again.