Teak hatch boards for Mk II

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

Hi all - my first post. Be kind ...
We just bought a MkII and the original owner replaced the teak hatch boards with smoked plexiglas. The original boards didn't make it through the chain of successive owners, and we'd really like to have those teak boards back. Does anyone have a good aftermarket source for these boards (or have any for sale)? I understand the CA company that made them (H&L Woodworking?) for Catalina no longer makes them since Catalina moved all their operations to FL.

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

lazybone

It is a simple woodworking project requiring some basic woodworking tools.  Surely there's someone in your neighborhood who could glue (spline) up a few boards and cut them to your template.  You should be able to source some teak from a good local lumber yard or online.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scotty

hey Mick and Sherrie,  Welcome Aboard!! (get it, a board??)
Scotty

Roc

Mick,
H&L says they no longer make them....however, did you ask if they still have the templates and if they can make you a set?  If they don't, maybe the Catalina FL plant has a schematic that H&L can follow and cut you a new set.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Back when I was in high school there was a teacher that was into sailing, but had no woodworking skills and didn't want to learn.  He would pass on his projects to the wood shop teacher and they would in turn get passed on to the students for completion.  Hatch boards would be good project, complex angles, splined glueing, etc.  Of course you need to supply or pay for the materials, but the labor is free.  Got a high school/community college near you?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ralph Masters

Mike and Sherrie,
Welcome to Catalina sailboating in San Diego.  Lots of good sources of information here.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
Pier 32 Marina
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

When you do replace the plexiglass hatches with teak, be sure to keep the plexiglass ones as spares so that when you have to varnish your teak boards you can take them home and do it in your garage so that you can spend more time sailing on the weekends! I have a 87 C-34 with lots of teak, so plexiglass sounds good to me. One less project to think about. But half the fun of owning a sailboat is looking at it! Welcome to the C-34 community!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Mick Laver

I talked to "HL" at HL Wordworking in LA. Since they made all the C30 and C34 (and probably C36) hatch boards he didn't see a problem making one more.  (Isn't that about 12,000 total?). Cost would be about $250, which isn't too terrible. Yes of course I'll keep the plexiglas. I already made temporary board out of plywood so I could fix the plexi ones, so then I'll have three. Can't have too many of these things ...

I'm hoping before I have to spend the money the originals turn up. Last report is that they were in a former owner's locker in Marina del Rey.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

scotty

Hi Mick,  Sounds like you have a good lead on the hatch boards.  $250 sounds good, but if you want to save a bit, there might be another option.  Look in your area for a hardwood shop - a specialty lumber yard.  They often have some really nice lumber, including teak.  If you can get a board of proper dimensions you can eithor cut it yourself (just put an angle on a table saw for the cuts of the center slats), or for a small charge they will cut it (or put it on a planer to get the proper thickness) for you.  Sanding and fininshing should be no problem for you.  For anyone with wood working experience, and tools, the cuts are quick and easy.  It might be a good time to ask around for some references to someone to help you if you are not comfortable (yet) with this level of woodworking.  There's lots of guys looking for work right now, so you should be able to negotiate a good price if you go that route.   We know that there are lots of projects like this on the boat.  For me that's part of the fun.  I taught woodshop at a local high school (I'm retired now), so I kind of like the do-it-yourself approach, but whichever way you go have a great time with the new boat!!!
Scotty

Mick Laver

Just to close the loop on this. The Catalina rep in Marina del Rey, Tim Braue, found the missing hatch boards in the back of a his varnisher's locker. Apparently they had been taken off the boat prior to sale, but never were put back on. Or varnished, for that mater. :) Anyway, my wife and I drove up last weekend to pick them up. Thanks, Tim!
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Ralph Masters

Mike,
What marina are you guys in??  We are down south in Pier 32 in National City, and there is another regular poster there with us.  And Les is over in Mission bay.

Ralph and Ann Marie
Ciao Bella
1987  (367)
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mick Laver

Hi Ralph,
Sorry for the late reply. I think the "Mike" threw me off until I re-read the message. We're at the Bay Club on Shelter Island. We've been there about 4 1/2 years with our '85 Catalina 30, and were able to keep the same slip with our "new to us" 34.
- Mick
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

We had a plexiglass hatchboard in my boat and really liked it for the fact that it provides a lot of light in the cabin when docked even if it's raining or nasty outside. We also had the teak ones available if needed but rarely used them.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

efhughes3

Quote from: Mick Laver on January 17, 2012, 09:15:15 PM
Hi Ralph,
Sorry for the late reply. I think the "Mike" threw me off until I re-read the message. We're at the Bay Club on Shelter Island. We've been there about 4 1/2 years with our '85 Catalina 30, and were able to keep the same slip with our "new to us" 34.
- Mick

My wife Deb and I are right across the way from you at SDYC with our "new" C34. We also gout ours in MdR. Hope to see you around! Maybe it's time to organize a San Diego fleet!
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC