SSB

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

I tried searching both here and on the c34 site, but it does not look like SSBs have been discussed much.

I would like to look into one of these devices for Soliton.

If you have one, would you mind posting your reply with:
1) make/model
2) what capabilities it has
3) what you use it for
4) problems/concerns

I would be especially interested in using it for email.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

jentine

Product ID: IA1111    Category: ELECTRONICS-SSB Radios
ICOM Marine SSB Radio IC-M710
Description: ICOM's next generation commercial grade SSB. The latest in ICOM SSB technology and construction. 150 watts of power, 100% duty cycle. All modes, including RTTY. E-mail ready for SeaWave. Optional filter required for Globe Wireless. Specifications

MFG ID Size Color List Price Star Price
IC-M710 21     $2,100.00  $1,499.95

The information came from the website of Star Marine Depot.
http://www.starmarinedepot.com

rdavison

Fulvio,
I haven't owned an ICOM marine SSB but have owned 5 different pieces of ICOM ham gear including 2 hf tranceivers.  I've had great success with them including lots of use of Airmail, the ham version of Sailmail.  One of the best things about ICOM is that the ICOM US headquarters and main service center is just off 405 in Kirkland or Bellevue, not sure which town exactly.  That makes it really easy to drop things off at the service center and to talk to real people.

I needed an update mod to my IC-706 for Pactor operation.  It was done quickly to accomodate our trip to Desolation this year and at no cost.

BTW, where are you moored in Seattle?  We live in Mukilteo and keep the boat in Anacortes.

Randy Davison  k7voe

Fulvio

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I noticed the similarity between the ICOM logo on the various web sites, and the sign on top of one of those buildings that my commute used to take me past every day.

I'm moored at Shilshole.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)