Engine compartment insulation?

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

The  insulation around the engine is turning to dust, so I quess it's time to replace it.
WM has some 1" stuff for $160 (seems expensive) which will probably work.
Has anyone used this stuff and is the 32" x  54" they give you enough to do the job?
Any alternatives?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Terry Forshier

Log on to sailors solutions using google. they sell 1 foot square insullation that sticks on your housing. I used this on my last boat, an Oday30, and it made a huge difference. You can cut the stuff with scissors, peel off the backing and just stick it on. It worked very well for me. On my present 34 I have an older type of insullation on the inside of the box that seems to be working fine. If it stars to deteriorate I am going to use this stuff again.

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Ciao : Pull out your old issues, beecause I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes (with pictures) on installing new engine insulation about 4 years ago!!
I used 1 1/4" and got the "Sound Down" from Defender.

The info is out there to read, if you aren't a member of C34IA contact Stu and he'll gladly sign you up and you can read the old tech notes on line while getting a new subscription to the Mainsheet!!   A thought 

Ron, Apache #788

Kirk Garner

The stuff from Hamilton Marine looks just like the WM insulation I just used couple of months ago....... and half the price! The 32x54 should give you enough to do the entire compartment but lay it out carefully and try to use all of it. I had to patch remnants to the underside of the top cover. Made a huge difference on mine.
Kirk Garner

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 14, 2011, 05:54:26 PM
I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes (with pictures) on installing new engine insulation about 4 years ago!!

That would be May 2008:  http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/May_2008.pdf
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

2ndwish

We did this last year. We used the WM 1" foam, but needed some extra, which was purchased from McMaster-Carr (a lot less $). Both worked well but the WM kit had both adhesive backing and fasteners included. One thing to watch out for is that the foam is thicker than the old foam so you need some relief around the shaft, alternator and thermostat housing-takes some sculpting. A recessed slot was needed to allow the steps to clear the shaft without tearing the insulation. The cabin is much cleaner with the new foam-well worth the effort.

lazybone

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 14, 2011, 05:54:26 PM
Ciao : Pull out your old issues, beecause I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes (with pictures) on installing new engine insulation about 4 years ago!!

The info is out there to read, if you aren't a member of C34IA contact Stu and he'll gladly sign you up and you can read the old tech notes on line while getting a new subscription to the Mainsheet!!   A thought 

I'll go back and check my Mainsheet's.  As a matter of fact I think that I have every C34issue ever printed included the first few from H. Schnieder(sp).

Stu, Just for giggles,  what was the first issue of mainsheet that contained a C34 section.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Brockman

Ciao -

If you have any of the 1987 issues, you may want to copy them and have them posted in the Mainsheet archives here as we are missing all of 1987.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ron Hill

Guys : I've got them all from the 1st in May 1987.  Also Stu publishes a list of the Mainsheet Tech note articles periodically with the titles in each quartly issue - a good reference!!

I'll send them to "whoever" when I get back from sailing in mid June.  :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Michael Shaner

lazybone...I just wrapped up that project this weekend. I purchased this kit from Defender and it worked out nicely.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|302333&id=96141

The quantitiy of insulation and adhesive was perfect but I did run a bit short on the foil tape. Additionally, I did not use the mechanical fasteners from the kit...mostly 'cause they were NAILS...  :shock:
Michael & Alison Shaner