Fuel oil separator in breather recirc line

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveM

Cmainprize had a photo a while back where he had installed a Jegs fuel air separator to catch and keep track of the oil. I noted several have followed as I am getting read to. My question is in regard to the sponge (filter) in the valve cover on the breather tube output. Is the consensus to leave that filter in or take it out. If take it out, how is it going?

Thanks
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

pablosgirl

Hi DaveM,

I recently installed the Jeggs oil separator on our boat and did not remove sponge from the valve cover breather tube.  It's only been three moths since the install and I have not recorded any oil in the seporator yet.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Jim Hardesty

I did it last year, don't remember any foam.  Did get some oil in the JEG filter, don't think it will have to be emptied between oil changes.  It's been a small but nice improvement.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

lazybone

If it's like most engines there's alot of oil flying around under the valve cover.  Without the sponge you might get oil spraying directly into the fitting/hose.
Someone should start their engine without the valve cover in place just to confirm.   8)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scotty

So there was no hose to take oil away from the breather vent at the top of the valve cover.  I talked to a mechanic friend and asked about a separator or just putting it into the air filter.  He explained that it would be a bad idea to do the latter (think run-away engine).  The former (the topic of this thread) is down the line for me.  What I did was old school. I installed a hose that goes into a (rather) large plastic jar.  A can would have been true old-school.  So far there is only the smallest hint of oil in the jar.  No more mess on the engine.  I'll see if an oil separator is in my future.
Scotty

cmainprize

Hi Dave
I did not remove the foam piece in the valve cover prior to installng the oil separator.  After one full season the separator had about a 1/4 inch of oil in it.  I did route the output from the separator to the air filter.  I do not think a runaway engine would ever be a factor unless your engine was coughing up alot of oil.

Good luck
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario