Non-copper Epoxy Antifouling Bottom Paint

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

We are looking at hauling and doing a bottom job on Ciao Bella within a year.  Here in San Diego there is a big push to move from Copper paint to non copper.  I have done some research on CeRam-Kote an epoxy ceramic paint that has been tested here in San Deigo bay with some good results.  Has any body else moved from copper paint and if so have you tried any of the ceramic epoxy paints.

Thank you,
Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ralph Masters

It's my understanding that it is a hard epoxy but does not inhibit growth only lets it be scrubbed off as the cleaner does the hull scrub.  Here in San Diego they are trying to legislate out the copper paint due to contaminates.  I've got more studying to do before I go this type of bottom paint, but it says it has a 5 - 8 year life span between paintings.  As I learn more I'll add it on here.

Thanks for the note,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

Well whatever goofy laws you guys out there think up, you can bet the rest of us are going to have to eventually suffer too.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ralph Masters

These goofy laws originated in Norway and Sweden.  They have test harbors in San Diego, Newport Beach, Marina Del Ray and San Francisco.  I guess the copper is killing off the Zebra Muscles.   :D :thumb:

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Gary Brockman

From what I have heard it is coming from the regional water quality control boards and that they are worried about the copper that comes off the paint and into the bottom sediment under the marinas. I have also heard that there is no evidence that this has been  harmful to marine life. I have also heard a theory that the majority of the copper found at the bottom of marinas is from street runoff from automobile brakes. Who knows?

The state of California last year tried to implement a law that every individual marina (in the case of Marina del Rey - 13 marinas) would have to perform ongoing water quality tests at a cost of $100K per year plus per marina. Fortunately it didn't go through as these costs would be directly passed on to the slip tenants.

Several years ago I read a UC Davis report on the San Diego bottom paint study that said that the new copper-less pint would be cheaper to boaters in the long run because you would not have to haul out as often, but it assumed that you were already hauling out and doing your bottom every year with copper based paint and that you had your bottom scrubbed every month.

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ralph Masters

All good thoughts and comments guys.

http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/surfwtr/caps.htm 

Find the reports here at this link, it'll be here before we know it.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Steve Sayian

Did anyone involved in the study happen to notice the plethora of U.S. Navy and commercial vessels at Coronado Island and 32nd St?  Guess they don't use copper-based paint...
Let's see, one Nimitz class aircraft carrier bottom equals how many pleasure boats???
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Stu Jackson

Steve,

Careful, inserting sanity into this discussion is very dangerous to reality.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

Actually the navy went to a teflon based rubber type paint several years ago, in fact I've been retired for 13 years so it's longer then that.  I can't say it's all through the fleet but I know they were doing tests on it and had ramped up the cleaning cycle on warships to keep the skirts off at the water line.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Kevin Henderson

Just got off the phone with Shelter Island Boatyard here in San Diego after scheduling my haulout for bottom paint next Wednesday. The buzz on the street is that the boatyards are expecially busy due to the number of folks rushing in to get their bottoms done with copper before any type of ordinance goes into effect.  In order to stay ahead of the curve, Shelter Island boatyard, for one is making preparations to phase out any copper based paints.  Apparently the new non-copper based paints run about $100 more per gallon... YIKES! :shock: The yards are also hunting for paint that will deliver comperable results as that of copper.
An interesting side note:  The owner of SIBY told me that each year when they send in water samples of their marina and yard for testing, they also send a sample of salted drinking water.... every year their water samples pass with the exception of one... yep the drinking water.
I don't know if thats a testament of the accuracy of the tests... or the quality of our drinking water here in SD :D
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

All I've got to say is it's a short trip down the coast from SD to Ensanada, Mx.  They'll put what the hell ever you want on the bottom of your boat.
But really, I'll get it done here early next year and not worry for another four years.

Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : There was a recent article in a marine magazine about a guy that got some USN submarine "bottom paint".  It eliminated the barnacles and oysters on the pilings 5 slips away!!  He only uses a face mask and rubber gloves - It almost killed him!!

I don't believe that it was Teflon based!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Holly cow Ron, that would be some good stuff.  Not............Darn bubble heads.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987