Rocker switch tips

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

My wife gets upset at me when I see that the pressure water switch has been left on. I was looking for a way to make it obvious that the switch was on and I read Ron's Wiki about marking one side with finger nail polish/paint (Should have expected that from an aviator!  :rolling). Looks like a great and easy fix. How well has that lasted Ron?

Also, the switch has 3 prongs labeled 1, 2, & 3. how would I convert that to a lighted switch like the one for the Propane solenoid????
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : The white finger nail polish on the left side of the switch (switch ON) has only lasted 22 years- so far! !!

If you look at "Sea Dog" brand lighted rocker switch, you can find a switch that will fit in your 1988 panel. They were the only one I could find of the correct size to fit a 1988 panel hole!!

Those old tech note have a bunch of great info in them (wrote that over 10+ years ago).
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Soko

Lance,
If you want to add a small LED indicator light, the wiring is very simple.  One lead (+) goes to the load side of the breaker (the side that the water pump wire is attached to), and the other lead (-) goes to ground.  When you turn on the breaker, you turn on both the water pump and the light.  I think Radio Shack sells small LED panel lamps.  Make sure it's for 12V. 
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ken Juul

Curious why you care if the water pump switch is on or off?  It's usually one of the first turned on and last to be turned off when I arrive/leave the boat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken's got a good question!  As My water pressure switch is always in the ON position.  
It's controlled with the Battery ON/OFF selector. When I come back to the boat the batteries are turned on and when I leave the boat the batteries are turned off.   
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

We leave ours on all the time, but only have one of the two tanks connected at a time.

I've found the advantage of having the pump on, especially in the evening when it's quiet, is that if the pump does cycle, it means that we forgot to fully close a faucet, or there's a leak in the system that I should know about before it gets worse. 

Most nights I'll turn it off when we hit the hay.  Just from habit I turn all the individual circuits off beofre I shut down the main DC switch.  No reason you couldn't leave the water pump on, so when you fire her up with power, it's one less step. 

YB, YC.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Good questions and comments. The big answer is that, as live aboards, we never really leave the boat. The other is that we came home once and all the water had been pumped out when a hose parted. The pump was still running -- dry. So, we make it a point to turn the switch off when we leave. However, sometimes the Admiral turns the wrong switch off. DON'T ASK ME HOW? I've asked that question repeatedly... So, if I have a way of easily marking the switch with either Ron's solution or a light, I'll make my life easier. ;)
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Two rules dealing with the Admiral.  One the admiral is never wrong, two if you think the admiral is wrong, see rule one.  Works in my one boat fleet.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

A gazzillion switches here;

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Rocker-Switches-Paddle-Switches/_/N-5g2q/

All types and flavors.
Just finishes restoring a pair of 60's vintage Italian espresso machines and they had exact duplicates for the lighted rockers that I needed. :shock:
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

scotty

LazyB,   Where in the galley did you install the expresso machine?  What a great idea.  Very civilized!  :thumb:
Scotty

Joe Kern

Quote from: scotty on March 02, 2011, 07:35:04 AM
LazyB,   Where in the galley did you install the expresso machine?  What a great idea.  Very civilized!  :thumb:

And will a Honda 1000 run it or do I need to get a 2000?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

lazybone

HaHa, no room for 1500w espresso and large burr grinder for beans but we do pre-grind and put it into zip bags for on board.
Not the same though.
We use this on board.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677