Refrig Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan Rash

I have a quick question for everyone.  On my survey that I had done, they said that the refrig was mis-labeled on the circuit board.  Well I agree with him....when I flip the refrig switch, the auto-helm starts buzzing.  I know that probably needs to get looked at eventually, so I will get to it.....BUT for now, I need to turn my frig on.  I am trying to follow all the wires right now, but I don't really know what I am looking for.  Can anyone please tell me what I am looking for in order to turn this frig on?  Thanks ahead of time!

Jordan
Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

RV61

Jordan,
You need to first locate the Refer compressor unit. Typical places they are put are aft cockpit lazzette on the starboard side or under the sink. One way to trace is follow the tubing or thermostat wiring from the
ice box to the compressor. Then follow the wiring from the compressor back to the electrical panel and find out which switch it is connected to.
Just a thought
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Jordan

1.  Find your fridge compressor.  It will either be in the lazarette or under the forward table settee.

2.  Trace the wires back to the electrical panel.

The easiest way I've found to trace the wires back is to take off the teak pieces behind the sliding black doors right forward of the electrical panel.  The it's easier to see the wires coming up from below and into the main loom (that rat's nest of wires!) that come into the back of the panel.

As you go, LABEL the wires along the length as well as at the ends, so you know what they are in the future.  You should do this every time you do an electrical "investigation" and eventually you'll have them all labeled.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Perhaps you could first turn the unit on at the frig (round control) and then turn on all your switches and wait 5 or 10 minutes until the frig starts up...then start turning off switches unit you hit the correct one.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Jordan : If you have a factory installation, your compressor unit will be in the starboard side down low in the aft lazerette.  The wire (probably a #10) will be to the main electrical at the nav station.

I suspect that you have an "owner installed unit", as the wiring isn't straight to the correct panel switch ! In that case you'll have to trace the wires from the compressor(as mentioned) and that will lead you to the switch.  
If the compressor is under the settee just forward of the mast (the usual location for your year boats location of an owner installed fridge), the switch could be almost anywhere in the lower salon section.  
Look for any unlabeled switch under the settee, especially by the battery compartment or the lower isle side of the sink.

A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Jordan,

Steve took the words out of my mouth. That approach certainly should be your starting point. As he said, turn everything on--if your compressor and fan are working, start turning breakers and components off one by one. When your compressor/fan stop-- voila! you have identified the circuit and switch.

Ken

Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il