leak under emergency tiller head

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

Any ideas to prevent rainwater from coming in around tiller head and down rudder post?  Had same problem with c30 years ago and never did completely stop. Thinking of building a caulk bead "dam" to direct water away from post. Constant drip into steering quadrant. I bet everyone's leaks to some extent. Ideas appreciated.

Ron Hill

gwp : If you remove the tiller cap and put some heavy grease under the nylon bushing - the weight of the cap+rudder pressing against that bushing, should stop/slow down any rain water. 

Just out of curiosity, how have you determined that the rainwater is coming in there?  You just might have a high leak in your aft water tank.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

gwp

Ron....thx for an idea I'd never thought of. I had the fbgls inspection plate removed from the upper aft bulkhead of the aft berth. Looking thru this hole I could see constant drip into steering quadrant.

Ken Juul

The emergency tiller set up on the walk thru transoms is totally different so this is just a guess.  I can't tell from pictures on YW the exact set up.  Does the collar under the top fitting turn with the rudder or is it hard mounted?  If hard mounted, it sounds like the sealant applied at the factory has failed and the collar needs to be rebedded.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

gwp

Rudder was recently removed and I applied no bedding compound to collar. There was none prior to removal?? I do now see the need to bed and I will do so. However it seems that it would still leak between collar and tiller head. Thx!