Water Tank Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Herodotus

Upon attempting to fill up my aft water tank, I discovered (...how the surveyor missed this, I have no idea) that the water tank is cracked so tht it does not carry any water. Whatever water I pumped into the tank (10 gallons) ended in either the bilge or soaked through the aft cushions.

Has anyone ever had to replace their entire water tank? I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Thanks,

H

Ted Pounds

Check this thread out:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5089.msg31162/topicseen.html#msg31162

Just did a search on aft water tank and a few hits came up.  This seemed like the best.  Good luck.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

H : Call Catalina Parts and and give them the year of your boat and find out the price of a new aft tank.

I'd also call the surveyor and let him know your problem.  You aft tank has to come out of thru the aft cabin.  You'll have to take off the port side panel in the aft cabin off and then the aft panel. 

While you are looking at the fuel tank you might as well pull the fuel pickup tube and make sure there's no screen on the hose end. 

Before you install the new tank look at the steering quadrant and inspect the cabling for any "fish hooks" (broken wire strands).  Also you might want to change those bronze pulley idler pins and replace them with stainless pins (call Edson) and adjust the tension. 
From the age of your boat you need to inspect the scupper hoses and replace them.  Also inspect the rudder packing gland.

Just a few ideas while you have things apart.   :idea:

Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

You might also check with some of the plastic shops in the area and see if it could be "welded".  I know this is common for motorcycle fairing repairs and my local plastic supplier just started offering the service.  I have a small crack in the drain fitting that I plan to have welded.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

H : Rick has a point.  You need to remove that tank and look at the split/rupture.  Then it's up to you whether you get it repaired or just go with a new one. 
I'm sure that $$ will also be a deciding factor. 
I'm sure after you go thru all of the effort to remove that tank you don't want it to leak again.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

not sure if it is the same material but a lot of auto collision centers are now advertising plastic bumper repair.  Might be another source of repair.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Exodus

My marina neighbor repaired his water tank with JB Weld.  They make a putty in a tube that is easy to work with and tough as nails.  His leak was in one of the seams and an easy fix.

Herodotus

Just climbed out of the aft lazarette and am filled with fiberglass spurs.

Searched for a part number for the water tank - no avail. Maybe it's written on the front of the tank?

This crack...let me explain it a bit better. It's as if someone ripped the water tank apart, cutting through the top board and then running diagonally down the aft face.

Round #2, fight! I'll keep all updated.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Herodotus on November 11, 2010, 09:49:23 AM
Searched for a part number for the water tank - no avail. Maybe it's written on the front of the tank?

Sorry to hear about the extent of the damage.

You most likely will NOT find a part number on the tank.  Here's the parts list:  http://www.c34.org/parts.html  (I searched for +parts+list)

Please take the advice earlier offered:  call Catalina Yachts.

Peggie Hall has also repeatedly suggested that Ronco Plastics offers very good tanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Peggie Hall

If it's a plastic tank, you can buy an identical replacement from Ronco Plastics.
http://www.ronco-plastics.net/marinetanks.html
Ronco has supplied all the water and waste tanks for Catalina for several decades.  Give 'em the boat year and model and which tank, they should know which is the right one. Buy direct and save the markup Catalina puts on it.  

Btw...they show 400+ tanks in their catalog, but any that are still OEM proprietary won't be there. So depending on the age of your boat, it may or may not be in the catalog. However, that doesn't mean they don't still have the mold and know which one you need.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

tonywright

Peggy, you are a mine of useful information.

Re the crack: To a Canadian, this sounds like ice damage. Was the boat in northern latitudes at all?

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

H & Guys : For the 1987 C34 the Part # is 60174 (stock# B182) for the aft 42 gal water tank and it is listed for $68.30 !! 

I got that information from the 1995 C34 parts listing that I posted on our C34 web site.  I believe the price has changed, but doubt if the part or stock #s have changed.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Peggie Hall

B182 is Ronco's mold #.  It may be in their retail catalog.  Check price and shipping with them before ordering.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

pablosgirl

I just looked up the tank model number (B182) that Ron provided in the Ronco marine tank catalog and it is listed as B182 42gal length "A" 46" Length "B" 18" and length "C" 13" Price $299.80 + shipping.  Thanks Peggy for the Ronco link.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Exodus

Dang, talk about inflation.  The price increased by $232 over a 15 year period!!   :cry4` :cry4`