Exhaust thru-hull

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie

Can anyone tell me where to get a new exhaust thru-hull for a 97 MKII?  The exhaust pipe interior diameter is 1 5/8.  The few I've found online (including Catalina Direct) have 3 holes in the flange to screw to the hull, but I'd like one that mounts like a normal thru-hull with an interior locking nut.  Thanks
1997 Catalina MKII

Ken Juul

I'd give the factory a call.  If they don't stock them, they can tell you who the supplier is.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Cookie : I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Catalina used the standard 1 1/2" thru hull and just double clamps it!!

When I changed my exhaust hose this spring, I didn't have to do too much tugging of the old hose to get it off or pressure to get the new one on!!    A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve W10

Guys, bringing back and oldie but a goodie.

Haven't yet seen anything conclusive on this exhaust thru-hull question.  Mine is leaking where the hose connects and it's got a small superficial crack in it so I'm going to replace it.  Unfortunately after much looking, I can't seem to find one that is 1 5/8".

Spoke to Lowel at Catalina Direct today.  He and a co-worker went back through the records and build-diagrams and couldn't find the specs on it.  He did find that it was a Forespar product and seeing as they don't make a 1 5/8" fitting, Catalina either milled down a 2"er (very unlikely) or clamped down on a 1 ½"er.  I asked about putting something like plumber's putty on the barbs and he suggested that would make them less effective and generate concern of the hose coming off.  Sounds reasonable.

So.....

1.   Anyone know where to get a 1 5/8" exhaust thru-hull?
2.   Ideas about putting something in the 1/16" gap between the hose and 1 ½" fitting?
3.   Also, although I don't think replacing the exhaust hose is rocket science, I'd still love to see Ron's write-up with pictures, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyone know where it is; I've looked through the forum and technotes but no joy?

Thanks,
Steve

Ted Pounds

I found this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/STANDARD-1-5-8-INCH-PLASTIC-BOAT-THRU-HULL-CONNECTOR-/320189767414   Not sure if it's Marelon or just nylon or what.  Might be worth a try at only .015 BOAT units...

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Kevin Henderson

don't know for certain if this is it but at least it is another resource to look at. 
Appears to be Vetus.   :abd:

http://shop.catalinaowners.com/prod.php?16075

Also just found this:

http://www.vetusmarine.com/store/p/356-TE-Connection-1-9-16.aspx
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve Wormsbecher on April 17, 2013, 12:55:57 PM
So.....

1.   Anyone know where to get a 1 5/8" exhaust thru-hull?
2.   Ideas about putting something in the 1/16" gap between the hose and 1 ½" fitting?
3.   Also, although I don't think replacing the exhaust hose is rocket science, I'd still love to see Ron's write-up with pictures, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyone know where it is; I've looked through the forum and technotes but no joy?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

This thread has information.  Ron's writeup has not yet been posted as far as I know.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6760.0.html

If you do a search on "exhaust hose" WITH the quotation marks, there are quite a number of threads on this subject.

Good luck, and with the thru hull.  What the factory did on my check valve from the shower sump was to wrap the smaller 1/2" barb with hose and then install the 3/4" hose with a clamp.  Just in case you can't find the right thru hull.  There's not a whole lot of pressure involved.  Glad others found the right one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve W10

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Ted, looks like that one is plastic, so not sure I'd use it for exhaust.

The Vetus ones are for a transom mount where my exhaust goes out the bottom of the boat (image).  Catalina Direct has a 1 5/8" transom one as well with a flapper in it, but I don't think it's appropriate here.

Thanks Stu I have searched pretty extensively including the thread you linked to.  I'll have another look, but seems I'm going to have to go with a 1 ½" unit.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.  Thanks again.

Steve

Stu Jackson

The one with the flapper is most likely from/for a C30.  Since they have the same M25 series engines as we do, they also most likely share the same exhaust hose size.  You could get that one and remove the flapper.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

cmainprize

I just ordered a 1 5/8 stainless exhaust flange from HMP in Toronto.  It was from vetus.  Should have it any day now, I will post a pic.  It was around $75.  The main reason I ordered it is because it has a 1 inch lip on the flange that should help keep the dirty exhaust water from running down the side of the hull, the current flush mounted one make a mess of the side of the boat.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Steve W10

SCORE!!!!    :D :clap :D :clap :D :clap :D

I was in picking up my hatch gasket this morning at "The Store – Mason's Chandlery" in Port Credit and I stumbled across this....

It's labelled with marker as 1 ¾", was in the 1 ½" bin, but when I pulled out my tape measure I almost crapped myself 1 5/8"!!!!! yee hah, fits perfectly on my hose, now just to install it.

I asked for a manufacturer and part number to share with the forum, but they couldn't find anything other than 112ss.  Wish I could pass along more info, sorry guys.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve

Stu Jackson

Nice find.  I notice it has a barbed end.  You might want to consider putting Rector's Pipe Dope on the barbs before you shove the hose on it.  It'll be the only way I know of to ever get it off again.