My First Project Completed

Previous topic - Next topic

tomrussell

The carpet in the aft cabin was mysteriously getting wet when we took the boat out.  I traced the source to the pan under the stuffing box.  The stuffing box needed an adjustment, no big deal.  My problem was the lack of draining holes.  Topic 5209 described my problem...here is referenced if interested (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5209.0.html).  I referenced the diagram from Catalina that showed where to drill.  That was also found here on the forum - thanks for that.  Problem addressed.

The pan under the aft bunk where the stuffing box is was just dirty.  The paint directly under the stuffing box was peeling, showing fiberglass in spots, and in bad shape.  I cleaned out the entire area and pan under the bunk, sanded, primed, then layed out a bright-white polyurathane paint under.  Everything is good down there now.

Last, I found a soft area in the floor under the companionway steps.  I removed the plastic floor covering and found the thin plywood to be water damaged right up by the diesel.  I do not have a definite root cause but water seeped at some point from the problem above or other.  The caulking around the floor perimeter was no longer effective either so water was able to get under.  I removed the plywood and old caulking.  Was unable to locate a replacement plastic floor covering.  So I was left with a shallow recess that stretches from the galley to the head and 2 large access holes in the floor.  I had my boatyard spray non-skid in a neutral color on the floor.  For the 2 access holes that are on the floor, I put 2 deck plates down.  IMO, it looks real good. 

I will be glad to post pictures for everyone if I can figure out how to do that.

Ken Juul

Congrats!

To post a picture.  Just under the box you type in a reply is a link that says "Additional Options"  open it.  You will then see the attachment tool.  Browse until you find your file then select.  Max file size is 150kb, so most pictures will need to be compressed.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tomrussell

Thanks Ken.