New Starter

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan K

I need to replace the starter in my MKI.  Does any one have the model of the Kuboto tractor that used my particular starter?

Thanks

Dan Kenshalo
1986 Catalina 34MKI
Hull #88
Mayo, MD
Dan Kenshalo
"Significant Other"
Chesapeak Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Dan : You have the M25 or D850 Kubota engine.  I believe it was in the Kubota 7000 tractor.  Go to your Kubota tractor dealer or on line and order the starter.  If you go to the dealer you can look at the parts break down and confirm the engine.

I'd check all your electrical connections, especially at the starter solenoid (to include the fuse and the fuse contacts) before I would count out the old starter.  

Take a long handle plastic handle screwdriver and touch the blade to the engine block and then the metallic shaft to the starter solenoid threads.  If the starter cranks you don't need a new starter - as your problem is in the connections -- somewhere. !!  A thought  :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

Dan K

Will do. Thanks for the info Ron.

Dan
Dan Kenshalo
"Significant Other"
Chesapeak Bay, MD

jedowden

Dan,

What are the symptoms? I'm having some trouble too...I usually have to push the button 4 or 5 times before it will engage. I'm hoping it's just the switch, but I'll be doing some troubleshooting this weekend to find out.

Josh
Josh & Pam Dowden
La Vita Pacifica, Hull #517

Stu Jackson

Quote from: jedowden on September 10, 2010, 08:58:18 PMWhat are the symptoms? I'm having some trouble too...I usually have to push the button 4 or 5 times before it will engage. I'm hoping it's just the switch, but I'll be doing some troubleshooting this weekend to find out.

Dan & Josh,

Please see Reply #5, here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5409.0.html

The "cure for the intermittent starter" has almost ALWAYS been the main ground connection on the engine block, on the port side bell housing behind the alternator and starter.  It is rarely the starter button, rarely, hardly ever.

Now that you're no longer newcomers to the message board and the C34IA, here are a couple of suggestions for you to help you in your learning curve:

1.  Many of us read the message board on a daily basis.  I usually finish up the sports section of our local newspaper with the "MB Read of The Day!"  There are a ton of things I've learned from reading about the issues other skippers have brought up, and the answers to those issues.

2.  Learn to search.  This is not to say that you may not have done this already, and any and all questions are truly welcomed.  There are however, some techniques for this that will speed your learning curve.  One is this topic, a sticky on the MB:  Quick Guide, and the embedded linkshttp://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5260.0.html  I've just added some additional information on searching techniques to that topic.

Looking forward to more of your questions and contributions, and congratulations again on your new boats.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

How to Find Your Local Kubota Dealer

See reply #5, here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3133.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kyle Ewing

Have you considered a starter rebuild?  Depending on your problem a rebuild might be less expensive than a new starter.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

SailDan

Dan -
I had to replace my M35 Universal Engine on our 1994 C34 because of a crank shaft bearing problem during our trip to the Bahamas in 2006. The marina would
giving me NOTHING for my old engine or parts so I removed the starter (works great) as well as other parts and brought them home with us. [items: transmission (Hurth HD100 - a new one came with the new engine), starter, 100 AMP alternator (requires external regulator), and water pump as well as instrument panal (Guages were OK)].  If you are interested, let me know.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Ron Hill

Sail Dan : I think you need to move your post to the "For Sale" listing if you want to sell anything .   A Thought
Ron, Apache #788

SailDan

Thanks for suggestion Ron. I agree--- will do.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Ron Hill

Dan : The M25 engine (D850) is used in the B7000 & B7100 tractors.  Hope this helps
Ron, Apache #788