oil pressure

Previous topic - Next topic

mervdog

I changed the  oil in my M25XPB as usual. I was out sailing, then motoring as the wind died. The oil pressure was fine until I pulled into the marina and dropped the engine speed to idol and my oil pressure dropped. Is this normal and I never noticed it or should I be looking for something. I check the oil when I got in and it was full and I could not find any leaking oil.

Stu Jackson

Can you be more specific?  "Oil pressure dropped..."  From what to where?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

What weight oil are you using? A multi-weight (15W-40) or a single weight oil (30W)? An oil analysis kit is relatively inexpensive, around $25, and can identify if there are any issues, like fuel dilution. A light weight oil, hot and at low RPMs could easily drop oil pressure down to where the alarm could sound.

Craig

mervdog

The alarm did not sound. Using a multi weight oil from West Marine. Not at the boat so I am not exactly sure of the weight. The oil pressure dropped from 50 to about 30

Ken Juul

Nice to have an oil pressure guage.  30psi is ok, plenty to keep the engine lubed.  At idle I would worry if it was approaching or below 10-15.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Merv : You might want to check and see if your alarm sounds when you start the engine.  As Ken said 30psi is more than enough. 
Ron, Apache #788