Diesel Fuel Maintenance

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

Thanks for the idea's guys! In the future, I will add diesel maintenance to my checklist.
Steve Eckfield

waterdog

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 07, 2010, 10:15:57 PM

PS - added 5/8/10:  I have never used a filter for fueling, nor have seen the need for one.  Of course, Steve Dolling, being in Mexico, requires one.

Actually, this is a misconception.   People think you buy fuel in Mexico from a guy named Pedro who hand pumps it out of dirty 45 gallon drums.   Maybe in Turtle Bay, but in almost all of Mexico the fuel delivery infrastructure is cleaner and more modern than I have seen in the rest of North America.  Typically above ground double walled gleeming Pemex storage tanks.   Brand new pumps.  Excellent quality fuel.  I may still run it through the filter, but I've never had to clean the filter.  Old timers here just roll their eyes when you ask if the fuel is clean.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

chuck53

Guys, no one mentioned this, but how about some opinions as to Marvel Mystery Oil added to the fuel.  I know some people who swear by the product and to be sure, it's been around a LONG time.
Also added to the engine oil as well.

Ron Hill

Chuck and Guys : There are quite a number of oil/fuel additives.  You have to do your homework and then choose.  Two additives that I like are Lucas and Militec.  Your boat , your choice !
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

While were on the subject, I noticed, at a truck stop where I buy fuel on occasion (because of their high volume), that the pump states that the fuel may contain between  5% and 20% bio diesel. I know we've discussed bio diesel but I wanted a current opinion. I never noticed this at our Marina gas dock.

thanks  in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il