Galley faucet replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

I am considering replacing the Grohe galley faucet with a more modern faucet with a pull-out handle.  From looking at other posts, it appears that a standard kitchen faucet will work.  Yet, we are trying to figure out a way to get the old faucet out.  Does anyone have experience with this project?  Does it require removing the sink? 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

You could do this to improve access:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sink_Access

Another one of our former members bought a new 2005 boat.  He didn't like the faucet handles, noting as many have that the handles are a pain when your hands are wet, which is when you're using the sink!  :D  He replaced them with lever faucets.  Easy for him:  he was a plumber.  And did it without Lance's neat upgrade.  So, there must be appropriate tools out there for just that, kinda like for deep kitchen sinks at home.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Clay : I haven't looked at WiKi, but the best way to change out that faucet fixture is to pull out the sink.  Then you can also upgrade the lengthy screwy hose drain that the factory installed - once the sink is out. 
Another way is to remove the entire counter top and then you can also insulate between the hull and the fridge box beside redoing the sink drain and the faucet.

Pulling the sink is the least amount of work to replace the faucet.    A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 11, 2010, 05:56:36 PM
... then you can also insulate between the hull and the fridge box beside redoing the sink drain and the faucet.

Have you actually done this Ron?   How?
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Roc

I've changed out the original Grohe faucet and from what I remember, it was no different than changing it out of my own kitchen at home. I had to take the shelf out, and space was tight, but it was pretty much routine.  You don't need to take the entire sink off.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ted Pounds

When I did mine I cut a hole behind the sink (behind the back cushion to the dinette seat).  Made access a breeze.   On my boat the hole was covered with a plexi backsplash that the PO had  installed.  But you can cover it w/ whatever as the seat back cushion hides it.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Clay Greene

I think I am going to pursue installing an access hatch in the plastic from the dinette side.  Thanks all for your thoughts. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Steve : If you look in Projects there's a post that tells an owner how to remove the galley counter top.  Great info on our web site ! 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

All of the old Projects and FAQs have been copied to the new Tech wiki.

Here's Captain Al's Galley story:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Galley_Counter

Old Projects are here: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects.html

Old FAQs are here:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 14, 2010, 05:03:09 PM
Steve : If you look in Projects there's a post that tells an owner how to remove the galley counter top.  Great info on our web site ! 

Don't need a post explaining how to remove the countertop Ron.  I removed my countertop, put in new laminate and reinstalled.  I am familiar with the process, thank you.

My question is how did you improve the insulation around your icebox.    Solid glass there.   Drilling holes yielded insulation not voids.   What did you find.   How did you access it.   

Forgive the lack of question marks.  I had to buy a new Mexican computer today and haven't figured out how to do a question mark yet...

Thanks   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : After you remove the counter top you spray in the foam insulation (Great Stuff) and fill the void between the box and the starboard hull. 
Not much you can do to the fridges aft side next to the stove/oven, except glue on 1/4" hi-density insulation. 
As far as the other sides/bottom extra insulation, I've written that up a number of times.   
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 16, 2010, 05:57:51 PM
Steve : After you remove the counter top you spray in the foam insulation (Great Stuff) and fill the void between the box and the starboard hull. 
Not much you can do to the fridges aft side next to the stove/oven, except glue on 1/4" hi-density insulation. 
As far as the other sides/bottom extra insulation, I've written that up a number of times.   

Did you drill holes to access the voids?  Removing the counter top only gets you to more fiberglass.
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : I had a void between the fridge box outside and the starboard hull.  I stuffed house insulation in the bottom (to hold the foam) and sprayed foam until it came up(expanded) to the countertop level.   
Ron, Apache #788