"Fish" Zincs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford

I've searched the forum and couldn't find this topic.  Does anyone have a reference showing the effectiveness (or lack thereof) for  "fish" type zincs that you hang overboard from a wire connected to your bonding system ?
Thanks.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Ken Juul

Aren't you in fresh water?  Curious why you think you need extra zinc protection.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Heyman

Are we talking about lightning protection or the usual zinc deterrent to electrolysis?  Also, I don't believe that Catlaina's have any OEM bonding system in the way recommended by the experts i.e. grounding plate and wire from the mast bottom to the keel nor anything tying all metal components together. There is allot on our site regarding lightning protection etc. Just do a search.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken Krawford : The "fish Zn" might help a lightening strike, IF that "900K Volt gorilla" decided to follow that path !

Ken Juel : Not that many years ago, I found that my father had mounted a Zn that screwed into the scag of his CrisCraft.  I said, "Dad you have the boat in fresh water and besides it's a wooden boat that the Zn is screwed into". 
The answer was quite simple - when you're 86 years old you can do what ever you please!!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

Yes I am in fresh water but had this discussion with someone who has a boat in salt.  The concern was electrolysis, not lightning.  Wouldn't the wire need to end up somewhere on the engine block to be effective?
Ken Krawford

Stu Jackson

Ken, it's simply not necessary.  The ONLY galvanic corrosion issue is dealt with by the zinc in the HX.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pablosgirl

Stu,  I disagree.  The zinc in the HX may take care of the galvanic corrosion for the HX but it will not effectively take care of the propeller or shaft in salt water.  The PO has put a rubber gasket between the HX and its brackets.  Also, fresh water galvanic corrosion can take place, if the boat is connected to shore power all the time and another boat in the marina has a leaking ground to the water (there is always some salt present, even in fresh water).  Here on the gulf coast I have found that I can extend the time between the replacement of the 2 collar zincs that I keep on my bronze prop shaft by using a "fish" zinc.  Before using the "fish" I was lucky to get 6 months out of the zincs.  After the fish, I replace them at 12 month intervals.  I have a 10 gage wire connected to the ground bolt on the engine block lead to the aft cockpit locker where I have a large spade connector that attaches to the "fish" wire.  This provides a quick disconnect to speed up departure time from the dock.  The "fish" wire is tied to the aft mooring cleat on the dock and stays there all the time.  I just disconnect the "fish" wire and throw it on the dock when departing the slip.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Just another reason to not keep the boat plugged in all the time. :D

I have a rubber tire hose between the HX and the bracket, but I also have hose clamps that connect the HX to the bracket.  Isolation? Not!

Glad it works for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

My boat is in brackish water, so boats in saltier water may go through more zincs, but I only use one shaft zinc a year.  Even then it appears to be less than half gone.  Be interested to hear if 2 zincs every 6 months is normal.  If not, you may have a problem you didn't realize.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bill Asbury

My previous C34 was in brackish water at our homeowners association marina and I discovered evidence of galvanic corrosion on my Max-Prop ($$$) a year or two ago, apparently from stray current from another boat or boats, at which time I may have been plugged in to shore a lot, so I bought and used a large fish zinc attached to the engine block until I could get a galvanic isolator installed, after which I didn't need to use the fish zinc any longer.  Since then I've become a convert to being unplugged most of the time, thanks to the guidance of Ron and Stu et al.   Still have the fish zinc on standby if needed with new to me this past week 2005 C34 with fixed three-blade prop.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Ken : I agree with Ted - what is your fish Zn trying to protect?  In the discussion, I've gotton lost!!
Ron, Apache #788

dave davis

I don't like sending my prop off to get it cleaned up and smooth down the pitting every 4-6 years. Ever since I added a large 4/6 inch zinc I have not needed to have this done(as often). It's pretty simple to connect the zinc with a copper wire and ground it to the engine block. WM zinc cost $20. It just hangs there about prop high and I pull it aboard when I am out sailing. I also have an isolator on the green wire from the ground. All this was recommend by the Harbor electrical guru. Ron would call this a case of weiring a belt with suspenders.
Dave-707-SF
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ron Hill

Dave : I agree with you on what your "fish Zn" protects.

What I was asking Ken about, is what does he want HIS fish Zn to protect???
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

Ron, the idea for the zinc was to supplement the protection from electrolysis.
Ken Krawford