Air cleaner/silencer

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaFever

Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Ron Hill

Mah : You have the earlier air filter "can" that was OEM to the 1986/87s C34s, without the "foam" silencer around the outside found on later models.
You can do as Ken suggested or drill/tap into the intake manifold just under the airfilter to connect the oil pan air breather.  I'd think that under the air breather would be better as the filtering mesh in the breather wouldn't collect the oil from the air and clog the breather.  That's what Westerbeke has done with the newer Universal engines.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Garth

Hi - I read below someone mentioned re-oiling the air filter. Are you supposed to oil a new air filter element before putting it on?

SeaFever

David Sanner,

I met with Beta Marine at a gathering Saturday where they had setup a booth, but they drew a blank on the paper filter you mention. They have completely new black plastic filter hosing assembly that they are using with a K&N like filter inside.

If you can find it, could you share a part number or another reference of the paper filter you mentioned in your post. I can take that and reconnect with Beta marine.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Ron Hill

Vic : The only reason to oil any air intake is to catch the dust particles.  I haven't found dust a problem at sea.
I've never heard or read anything that talked about oiling the aluminum shavings in the Universal air cleaner. 
Ron, Apache #788