Autopilots - any suggestions?

Previous topic - Next topic

foursailing

I was reading the recent thread on enhancements to make single handing a little easier and the idea of adding an autopilot seemed really appealing (plus it's about time to add a new toy).

As such, I was looking for advice on autopilot selection.  Did a search and found some, but not a lot of recent information.  I've been focusing my attention on the RayMarine Smart Pilot X-5 which was mentioned here but have seen some mixed reviews - most concerning being the drive unit ring is a bit "flimsy".  (I did look at CPT  - recommended by Stu I think - but would prefer to interface plus cost seems to be quite a bit higher then the RM X-5).)

Had some other questions and would be appreciative of any insight:

What kind of performance could I expect from an above deck AP?  For the most part I sail in fairly protected waters but was looking for decent performance in say 25 – 30 knot winds.  For example, is it reasonable to expect the AP to keep me into the wind when dropping (or raising) the main in these conditions?  I have the MackPac lazy jack system which makes dropping the sail a lot easier – but you really need to be directly into the wind when dropping for it to work well.

Specific to the Smart Pilot X5 – can anyone comment on performance, reliability or any other related information?

How well can can I expect the RM X-5 - or others for that matter - to steer to wind angle work (I have a RM ST50 wind indicator I was planning on interfacing)?  Does anyone use their AP to occasionally tack when short handed?  Don't want to take the fun out of sailing but in certain situations I could see these features being very useful.

Any other recommendations – including other AP alternatives, above versus below deck comparisons, etc. woudl be greatly appreciated.

I was planning on going down to the Atlantic City Boat show on Saturday to get some hands on exposure , but looks like they'll be getting a couple feet of snow  :(

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Stu Jackson

Bill don't know if you've checked out the Tech Wiki on autopilots.  There are two articles there.  See:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Electronics

I cobbled togther the Wacky AP article many years ago, but the points that John Nixon made are still quite valid.  My experience is that any wheel pilot will steer the boat pretty well even in the high winds you mention going uphill.  Once you fall off to and past a beam reach ALL of the pilots are all (except for hefty below-decks units) going to have trouble with the quartering waves.  A wheel pilot (other than the CPT claims) simply won't steer your boat downwind very well.

Except perhaps for Steve Dolling's experiences with his, which you must have read in doing your research.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

To answer a couple of your questions.

I think the current Raymarine wheel pilot will steer via the wind angle.  I haven't set mine up that way but I think I read something about it in the manual.  The manual is available on the RM site.

The auto tack works.

I use it to hold the bow into wind to get the main up and down all the time.  The trick is to have enough speed, 2-3 kts to keep the rudder effective.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

foursailing

Stu and Ken - Thanks for the info!

Ken - Overall are you happy with the unit and would you buy again?  Any problems with the ring / drive unit?

I did find the manual on the web and it does look like you can interface wind indicators.

How's the snow by you?  AC boat show was canceled.

Thanks again!

Bill
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Ken Juul

Initially I was a bit skeptical about the new wheel drive.  The drive unit is not built as strong as the 4000.  But it works fine.  I had to get my drive unit replaced, the waterproof electrical plug would not stay attached to the motor.  Second unit was fine. After a season of use, I have no complaints.  Maybe it's just because it is new, but it is much quieter than the one replaced.

Sloppy mess here, snow is coming down then turning into slush, temp is right at 33-34.  It will freeze tonight causing ice.  Tomorrow is suppose to be clear, hopefully the roads will get cleared.  Glad this is a once in a decade event in this part of the country.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

foursailing

Thanks Ken!  Very helpful information - sounds like it will meet my needs so I will give it a shot

We have about a foot or so of snow up here in Princeton NJ and still snowing.

Thanks again,

Bill

Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Terry Forshier

I have the new RM X5 smart pilot and it has worked well. I have not been out in very rough weather though. However, we sail year round here in SW Florida so it gets a lot of use. WE do not have snow here but we have hurricanes. (no place is totally safe) I am watching the snow up north and remember when I lived in Gloucester Mass and we had 3 feet of snow one winter. Glad to be here. It was 73 here today. Gusty to 25 mph. Puffy fast moving clouds but a lot of sun too.