Annual Unstepping of Mast when wintering on the hard

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry White

While unstepping the mast when on the hard for "off-season" is optional at our club in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, probably 70% of the members do remove their masts. Having purchased 2 Catalinas in the Boston and Long Island areas, I noted that probably 80% of owners in those areas leave them in. The local (Nova Scotia) rationale for unstepping the mast is because of the high winds we can get a number of times over the winter months, and the desire to minimize vibration loading on the chainplates. For the C-34, I have a substantial cradle with bunks rather than the pads I had on our C-30's cradle (which had a tendency to loosen with the wind-induced movement over the winter). I am considering leaving the mast in next year, but have concerns that I may end up paying the "chain-plate-piper" if I do. It would be interesting to know if there is any documented information that addresses the question of accelerated deterioration or loosening of chainplates, etc. I recognize that many owners are in the enviable position that they only go on the hard for a couple of weeks every so many years for routine maintenance, but would also note that wind loading on masts in the water will be quite different than those on a rigid cradle. I would appreciate any feedback from the C-34 membership regarding their experiences.

Best Regards,

Barry White
Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia
1986 C-34
Sail No. 098
"Endorfin"

tonywright

Barry, do a search on "mast" and "winter" and you will find several threads that have discussed this topic. You will find that most posters feel that there is no issue with "mast-up" storage, provided you have a good cradle and a firm base to stand it on. Weather expectation is the real deciding factor.

Do you expect periods of freezing rain or even the possibility of an ice storm? That can make all the dynamics change (mast becomes a lot more top-heavy), and even some possible damage from falling icicles when it starts to thaw.

One benefit of pulling the mast is the annual opportunity to inspect all the rigging, wiring and bulbs without going up the mast.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Barry White

Thanks for those insights, regarding ice formation complications. We actually were living in the Ottawa area (Orleans) during the last major ice storm, but the Halifax area doesn't have the same high probability of frequent ice storms, and typically very little freezing rain (compared to what we experienced in Ottawa over the 26 years we were there.) So perhaps the "locally expressed " concerns in leaving the mast in are overstated.

Cheers,

Barry White

horsemel

Here in Northern Ohio we get wind, snow and ice storms. I would say my rough survey is that 85-90% of the boats store mast up. We have had no problem whatsoever.  This is the first year we have put the mast down simply because I need to do some maintenance on the mast, inspect rigging and rebed chainplates.  I don't think our chainplates have ever been reset so after 20+ years it is time to do it on principle.  i reset one this summer so have five remaining.  i would say that in the four years we have owned our boat, she has been through 4 or 5 ice storms, a couple pretty heavy.  No damage and no problem.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Jim Hardesty

I prefer to leave the mast up.  Here in Erie, PA we get snow for sure, strong wind (40+kn) for sure, sometimes ice storms in the inches of ice.  Seems like a couple of boats go over every year.  I can understand why some people insist that the mast should come off for the winter.  I think that a lot depends on your boat.  I have only wintered my Catalina 34MKll one winter, the mast was down to do maintenance, this year I left the mast up.  I'll see how that works out.
For what it's worth here is a list of things that I do and watch out for.

The boat should be set with the bow to the prevailing winds.  Stern to is OK.  Beam to is asking for trouble.

Check that the mast doesn't pump.  I think that this very worst condition for the rigging and the stability of the entire boat.  On my last boat I went above the spreaders and wrapped old dock line, sent to the mast top by a halyard, around the mast above the spreaders, like a candy cane, that stopped the pumping.  So far the Catalina hasn't had this problem.

The rigging shouldn't be overly tight.  I think that because I set mine tighter than most.  I loosen the backstay and cap shrouds a few turns and the lowers a couple.

Again I only take my mast down every 3ed year or so.  Only problem that I have had is ice storms.  When the ice fell from the rigging it put holes in my shrink wrap.  But thats uncommon.

I'd rather be thinking about launching or sailing.

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Barry White

Gentlemen, your responses are much appreciated. They offer readers the opportunity to evaluate the issue in the context of the more severe exposures where high winds and freeze-thaw cycles play havoc with our wonderful vessels. I'm with Jim regarding thoughts of launching and SAILING .... 7 months to launch ...!!! :cry4`

Cheers, Barry