Anchoring, Advice Please

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

C34 MkII, 1472, carries a Delta 22# with a Maxwell Rope Only windlass. Been told by other Catalina sailors (C36's) that I can use that windlass by changing to a Chain/Rope splice on the rode and wrapping the chain around the windlass drum 2- 4 times. Anyone ever tried this?

I'd like to upgrade to a Delta 35# with about 30' of chain so I'll sleep at anchor. But, there is no way I'm lifting the anchor and chain without the windlass.

Any ideas and recommendations appreciated.

Stewart Napoleon
Desiree, C1472, OGYC
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Ken Juul

I do exactly what you are describing.  Works like a charm.  The chain does not have the friction that the rope does, if the anchor is buried deep it is generally necessary to pull the chain tight, pause for 15-20 seconds then pull tight again.  Repeat until the anchor breaks free.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stewart, you may also be interested in this if you're planning on a new anchor  Anchoring:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2705.0.html  There is a lot of static on the first few pages, but 3 and 4 are very good.

Also see for anchor system sizing tables: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.html

Once the rode is vertical, the stress should be removed from the windlass when you break the anchor free.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stewart : The Delta 22 is tooo small an anchor for a C34!  Your idea of a Delta 35 is right on - especially with at least 30ft of chain.
I assume that you only have a drum on you Maxwell windlass.  You can use chain by putting around a few wraps.  However, the chain will tend to chip off the chrom.  Those chrom chards are VERY sharp and will easily in-bed deeply in skin.  I've seen posts by others that recommend that you grind off the chrom and get down to the bronze.  It's a safety thing.
Also never break out the anchor with the windlass, as that's the fastest way to burn out the windlass motor.  Instead - Pull in the chain with the windlass until you are over the top of the embedded anchor.  Then secure the chain to a cleat and break out the anchor with the engine/boat momentum.

You might also consider using 50ft of chain.  Then you can let out 50ft of chain and 10 feet of nylon rode and that will take care of 90% of any places you'll ever anchor.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788