Drying moisture in cockpit floor

Previous topic - Next topic

bclery

new boat owner here with second newbie question...

In the boat I just purchased there was some moisture detected in the forward portion of the cockpit floor, but the floor is still solid and no hollowness.  A survey in Oct 2008 did not show this moisture.  During the year between the two surveys the boat was on the hard with the bow positioned too low causing rain water to sit in the cockpit rather than run out the rear.  So, I believe this moister may be pretty new.

First, should I do anything?  Once properly blocked or in the water this will dry out on its own?  (wishful thinking)

To dry this out the surveyor said holes would need to be cut in the cockpit surface the let it air out for a while.  Then repair them.

After thinking about this I believe it would be smarted to cut the air-out holes from the bottom up (in the ceiling of the aft cabin).  The water will tend to drip down and out rather than up anyway.  The hole could be left open for very long, maybe forever.  If I do cover the hole I could use a removable cover.  So is this a good idea, or just dumb?  If dumb why?

Has anyone ever tried using a vacume pump to pull the moisture out faster?

Thanks for any advice,
Bill

Ken Juul

I hate to cut holes in my boat.  I think I would block it so that the cockpit drains properly and test again in the spring.  If the glass is solid and not showing any cracks the gel coat should dry out on it's own.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Welcome, Bill.  

Based on your description, it sounds like the moisture is more of a rumor than a fact.  Before you go digging (literally) any further, I recommend that you get a moisture meter and find out if your boat does indeed have any issues at all.

I have not heard of an issue at that spot, even understanding the wrong blocking which would have left water stand there.  The only cockpit area for which we have heard reports of standing water is the port cockpit seat right behind the slope of the cabintop.

We have heard of water getting behind the slides for the hatchboards, and ending up down below.

If you do have water in the deck, you have to examine your options for repair, because while draining from below doesn't make a hole in the cockpit floor, it also doesn't seal the "hole" from where the water came originated up on top.

If your issue is hatchboard slide water, you will most likely not be blocked that way ever again and could consider it a one time deal.  Or you could remove and rebed the slides.

Oh, and Bill, the newbie period is over; we actually don't have or use those monikers...you have a C34, just laugh and be merry! :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

bclery

I saw the survey guy detecting it with a moister meter and it was pretty distinct.
But, it does sound like the best plan is to block it properly and remeasure in spring before doing anything invasive.
Thanks very much,
Bill

Ron Hill

Bill : A floating MKI C34 will collect water in the fwd portion of the cockpit, if the aft water tank is not full  :idea:
If the water came in, I'd see it if wouldn't evaporate rather than drilling holes.  You need to cover the cockpit (really good) for the winter.  I'll guess that if there isn't a crack in the cockpit floor, that the moisture(rain/washing boat) came in under the bottom companion way piece of teak!  Make sure that underside is caulked. 
A thought.   
Ron, Apache #788