REFRIGERATION Wayco (harbour) not cold enough

Previous topic - Next topic

Momentum M

Guys I'm having some problems with our refrigerator.  Last summer the unit was not producing enough cold to keep the milk for more than a day.  This Spring I had a so called technician look at it and after checking everything he decided that it was low in gas.
He had a very precise small scale where he deposited his gas bottle.
It's a slow process...vacuum and then refilled.
At first I was under the impression that he had fixed my problem.

Now I notice that the upper connection on the compressor unit was frosting all the time...and I was under the impression that it was doing it job.

Lately....with a somewhat warmer temperature the unit would run continuously and the refrigerator wasn't cold at all...not even ice on the condensing plate...it was only condensation.

After doing some research I'm told that along the gas line there is a protection (some kind of safety switch) that will stop the compressor from making any cold until the ice melts.  This sound very probable to me.

I was also told that if the gas line freeze it's because there's to much in the system.  It should contain 252gr. no more no less.

Since we don't really have any service guys in our area to test/adjust the unit...I'm told that I should let go a very very small amount of gas and see what happens.  After monitoring if the problem has corrected itself...if not then another small purge and so on..... until it's okay.

I've replaced the thermostat last week, the fan and compressor are working (all the time even with the new thermostat) so everything seems to be working except that I don't get any cold in the box.

Does this make sense and has anyone experienced something similar.

I'd really like to solve this before next w-e as we're going on vacation for 3 weeks and we anchor most of the time so my refrigeration is very needed to keep my bee.... heu...milk.

Thank you in advance.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Stu Jackson

It's WAECO for future searching.

Try this link that I found on the C36 MB.  http://www.boatbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25736 

The contributor is Richard Kollmann who has his own website and has been reported to be extremely helpful.  You may want to consider getting in touch with him.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Heyman

Stu's  correct. The Kollmann site is very useful as is the section in Calder's book, about boat systems, including a refrigeration/air conditioning section. I recently charged (over charged) my system. Subsequently I bled a bit of gas from the system. I'm still above what the optimal suction side pressure should be. I've recently learned that between 8-14 psi when running is correct, so I may bleed again. My system however is working albeit not quite as well as it once did so I will continue to troubleshoot. Fortunately the beer is cold.

Waeco was sold within the last year or so. They used to be helpful via phone. The new company does not seem to have any knowledgeable techs .

BTW do a search on refrigeration on our site. There is quite a bit out there.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Momentum M

Thank you guys for your help and for the reference.  I've joined Kollman's forum and I've already asked the question. 
When I do get the reply I'll let you guys know.

Maybee I'll have cold beer for our Holiday...mind you with a temp of 49/55 F maybee I'll stick to warm milk   :thumb:
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Wow...internet plus good help from you folks help in finding solution.

Like I said I did post my request....similar to the above description and I already have the answer:

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frost on line outside refrigerator and frost at compressor would indicate too much refrigerant. There is a small line at top of compressor that has a cap over the servicing valve. With compressor turned off remove cap and let out gas the same way you would let air out of a bicycle tire .for two seconds. Run compressor for 20 minutes and check reduction of frost at compressor and line. There should be no frost on line outside refrigerator but do not remove too much refrigerant. If there is still frost on line repeat the process again and again and each time compressor must be off. If after four hours there is frost covering 100% of evaporator and the return line inside refrigerator box also has frost, the refrigerant charge is correct for warm weather cruising on the Great Lakes. If too much refrigerant is removed next fall's cool weather will again reduce cooling capacity indicating more refrigerant is needed
KOLLMAN_MARINE.COM

Thanks again...and maybe it will be a beer or two.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May