Wheel stiffness and creaking

Previous topic - Next topic

dhagen

I have a 2001 Catalina 34, hull 1592.  When I have weather helm or following seas, the helm is stiff and I hear a creaking.  If not under pressure, the helm is easy to turn and no noise.  Any ideas as to the problem or how to fix it?

Stu Jackson

Yes, please read the steering system information available at:  www.edsonmarine.com
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tonywright

When I got my boat, the rudder post was a bit sloppy in the casing. In your case, weather helm or following seas could be causing extra pressure on the rudder, and causing it to bind on the inside of the casing. If it has not been lubricated, then you would get stiffness and creaking where it is binding against the iside of the tube. Read on to find out why I think this...

To fix the sloppiness, I had a thin layer of extra glass made up to take the slack out of the tube. When it was reinstalled, the installer gave it a liberal coating of grease to lubricate it. That was three years ago.

This season, we have had general stiffness in the steering system. Needed two hands to move the wheel, and I could forget using the autopilot (it gave up, claiming "low battery" after 20 seconds). I had given the chain, cable and idlers the recommended lubrication inside and under the binnacle, so the problem was a mystery. We surmised maybe some damage from bumping the rudder on the cradle when she was pulled out for the winter? (thinking big bucks to fix this one!)

It seems that the real problem was the the lubrication around the post had lost its effectiveness. We lifted the stern out of the water a couple of feet, and lubricated the rudder tube from the top while all the rudder tube was completely above the waterline. Worked the wheel back and forth to allow the lubricant to completely flow around the tube. Presto: stiffness gone. New item to add the pre-launch checklist: lube rudder post.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada